1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1199 Superleggera Rr - Project 1201 Koen

Discussion in 'Builds & Projects' started by mygreenalien, Dec 16, 2013.

1. Ok people, I am announcing a project for 2014 and before I go into details I want to make the following VERY clear:

1. I have waited a very long time to do something like this.

2. It is not an exercise to show off, be flash or better anyone else’s projects!!!:frown:
    3. It has been named Project 1201 Koen simply because this one man has become a good friend and an inspiration.:upyeah:
    4. I wanted to share the exercise with fellow enthusiasts and the comradeship here is rather unique.:biggrin:

5. I "work" in Iraq and this project will help keep my sanity.

So to the details:

I have an R and I was going to work on this but I heard murmurs of the SL back in May and decided to hold off and now I have been lucky enough to secure a 1199SL. Steve Moore from MotoRapido will undertake the works and he has already started the proposed list of options. I used to live near Winchester so it is also a nice excuse to go back there. The plan is to turn the bike into a proper track machine and to create as near as WSBK spec machine as possible but being sensible to run and not over complicate things with electronics. I have contacts and friends who have close links with those in the racing/race parts world and it is the intention to source parts either used or new from these but sensibly priced. Being based in the UAE also helps as the dreaded VAT does not apply either so it all helps. I do not have a lot of experience and so part of the fun will be finding out and asking what most on here are likely to view as silly questions, but the purpose is to show the journey like Koen and hopefully someone somewhere can learn too - just as I have from Koen. At the very least - you can laugh at me and if I make people laugh, it’s worth it!

The spec of the SL is not finally known so the below may alter.

The project has been split into the following areas and I note beside each area the intentioned parts and what I need to find out:

Chassis
    - Forks - FGR300 2014 spec - already secured
    - Triple Clamps - Robymoto adjustable; check how steering damper fixes
    - Front Calipers - Brembo 108mm - currently under investigation what is actually used by the WSBK team and applicable pads
    - Brake discs - 320mm Brembo - ditto but full floating and hopefully T drive
    - Master Cylinder - Brembo Radial 19*18 CNC motogp and applicable reservoir
    - Brake lines - quick release tbc
    - Rear caliper and resevoir - Brembo race parts again tbc
    - Rear sets - light tech
    - Race fuel tank - sourced from the very person making the race tanks and heat treated at bottom! Needed to help braking (note to self - my sacks have already provided what contribution I am destined to make in this world…..):eek:
    - Carbon race fairings - painted
    - Race seat
    - Race grips

Engine
    - Clutch - upgraded plates and springs and electronic wizardry by Steve Moore
    - Radiator conversion and SFS hoses
    - Air box and filter according to the race tank

Exhaust
    - WSBK system - hope is AKRO silencers can be retained, just the plumbing to be changed….. inconel would be awesome and help the dreaded heat issue????
    - Ceramic heat covering

Electronics
    - Quick action twist grip
    - Superstock wiring harness
    - Superstock ECU and BBS unit
    - Superstock data kit
    - Custom mapping - by Steve Moore
    - Quickshifter - HM system?

Other
    - Decision on what slicks to run… tempted to run Pirelli 17” but UAE race series runs Dunlop slicks….
    - Rear Sprockets - various
    - Brand new part will be coming off the SL and will be for sale.

The journey has already started with the purchase of FGR300 forks - weird as it sounds, I have wanted pukka WSBK front end ever since I saw FOGGY racing at Donington on the first 916 Corse…. flip I feel old (note to self - you don’t look it though).:tongue:

SL being built end of April, delivered end of May - will take it for a quick ride to get a feel for it but it will then be quickly sent to Steve in Winchester…… ideally built in time for me to have a “set-up” track day some where in UK before it being flown to UAE where the sun never stops shining!

Updates will come as bits and bobs arrive. Opinions/advice welcome. Just remember the spirit of this exercise stems from Koen and so my final note is a big thank you to you big man - you are a legend and I say Koen for King!:cool:

#1 mygreenalien, Dec 16, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2014
    • Like Like x 3
  2. Great cant wait , just make your text bigger :upyeah:

3. Cant wait to see this

4. For those who don't know, i think many do : my christian name is Koen.

Indeed it was MGA that was the very first to put the SL on the radar! loooong before anything on it stuck around..

How did Peter James call this : a bromance ? LOL .... i must admit: it does make me smiiiiiiiile...

take care of yourself in Iraq , Bro ... don't let it make you go mad... :) there something pritty waiting for ya..
    and it doesn't nag... lol
    i know a pair of brake line quickreleases for reasonable money ... i'll mail the guys adres to ya ...

• Like Like x 1
  5. If your bike is anything like Koen's it'll be awesome! I'm looking forward to seeing the build, the SL looked fantastic when I saw it in Milan :upyeah:

20131108_160752.jpg

20131108_160752.jpg

6. let me tell you : technically, he'll outdo mine... but mine will always have that Roche design-purity ... :)

• Like Like x 2
  7. Look forward to seeing more :upyeah:

8. Hi Steve - Yep, changing triple clamps for ability to adjust geometry, the FGR's fork diameter's and the new brake set up.

Whilst Koen went retro looking I am going to go the other way. I have two ideas buzzing around at the moment but these are only ideas - when I get back from Iraq in January I have made arrangements to meet designer/painter. Again, it's funny how things stick with you - I remember Alan Cathcart writing an article on Troy Bayliss race bike with the Imola 200 paint scheme - just blown away by the bike and the pics (wish I kept the magazine) and so one idea is to use the base colour with some new design. The other is based on my liking of the motogp bike but it is not right. Deciding is going to be tough as I am a Ducati Red man but I am erring towards an Imola special as long as I can get the paint code:

imolars.jpg LHS.v5.jpg

imolars.jpg

LHS.v5.jpg

9. I'm liking the bottom pic :upyeah:

10. Imola job could be interesting, 2nd picture looks like a Chinese fairing job

• Like Like x 1
  11. Theres no getting away from how good the 916 shape is :smile:

12. So, I ordered my Forks from Andreani Group and they have been sent to UAE. Wife has to take delivery and so how to tackle the mysterious import duty with the lovely lady as I still in Iraq....... decided to forward to her the tracking note via email and asked her to pay the duty and I will pay her..... her email response....."heard that one before darling - happy to do so but please see attachment and action...." PDF of bank details attached :tongue:.

Now looking into what is needed for forks..... triple clamps, yokes etc - gonna go for factory ones with offset and pin I think, along with steering head angle cups - all discussed with Steve.

#15 mygreenalien, Dec 21, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2013
    • Like Like x 3
  13. i love that INFOSTRADA scheme... :)

• Like Like x 1
  14. It's got to be the Imola paint scheme.

15. Well, I been thinking a lot about this one for sure and tend to agree. I need to get the paint code though as its a complicated mix cause there are flecks or purple in it - in the flesh its simply awesome. Just need to find the right artist to come up with something modern!

• Like Like x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information