1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2 Wheeled Tyre Kicking

Discussion in 'Other Bikes' started by Mr C, Jul 29, 2014.

1. So my 2 wheeled tyre kicking weekend started with me trying out the latest great incarnation of Honda Fireblade, I have always liked the look of this shape of blade and I had a very brief go on one about 2 years ago and for the 10 miles or so I rode it I thought it felt nice. I was really wanting to fall in love with this bike so I was going in with a bias mind. I had route planned which included town riding, twisty country roads and a about 20 miles on the motorway. Hate to say it but I was disappointed, the bike was a jack of all trades and master of none it just left me a little feeling a little cold. The demo bike I was on had a fueling issue, I would be off throttle mid corner then upon opening the throttle to exit the thing was like a switch which would take me by surprise and had me out of the seat on more than one occasion. I guess a remap and properly set up suspension would sort that out. The thing certainly does not lack power 180 bhp, but it has left no lasting impression on me. But for me it’s a box ticked and I can now stop looking at the blades on eBay

[​IMG]

Sunday finds me at the local Triumph dealers so I can try a Trumpet 675 Daytona I have never ridden a triple, looking over them in the showroom and they do look well screwed together 675R in black certainly looks well with its Ohlins suspension, Brembo Monoblocks and carbon trinkets. I'm on the demo 675 which is a base model. Holy crap has someone built this just for me, it fits like a glove. Within 5 miles I’m grinning like a Cheshire cat and then grin is still stuck on my face. What a riot of a bike to ride, it may only have 128bhp but and here’s the difference… You can use it all. I can’t think of a single bad thing to say about it. It’s a joy to ride around town easy on the joint whilst on the motorway and what a hoot around the twisty bits. It feels so light and agile, I can only imagine what it would be like with a proper suspension set up. The noise is addictive, it seems to howl through the air box and even the standard exhaust makes a fruity note. I really didn’t want to give it back and now I seem to be looking at all the 675’s on ebay! If you haven’t ridden one then I would highly recommend try one.

[​IMG]

I would hope an 899 is as much fun, I must get my leg over one of those before I decide which what to do much as I love my 999 its ergonomics are killing me, I need a chiropractor after every ride!

#1 Mr C, Jul 29, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2014
    • Like Like x 2
  2. Interesting write-up Mr C. :upyeah: I'm definitely NOT going to test-ride a 675 then... can't afford to get obsessed with them. A triple does make a great engine though, the 900 in my Tornado makes a lovely noise and just pulls smoothly everywhere.

I'm already avoiding riding the 899 for the same reason...

3. I have watched and read some 675R reviews and it gets raved about.

Oh God why did I have to ride one!.

4. You rode the base model. Maybe the 'R' is rubbish?! :confused:

<just trying to help!>

• Like Like x 1
  5. Surprised you say this as the latest Blade out of the showroom is sublime. Fuel injection can be snatchy on some bikes, but it certainly is not on the Blade unless it has been tampered with. Of all the superbikes, the latest Blade is fantastic because it is sooo linear, smooth and predictable. Yes it does have 180hp and as an IL4, if you're mid bend with 9k rpm throttle off, and throttle back on, yes it's going to deploy alot of HP suddenly. Anyway, I only say this as you are the only person to comment on the latest Blade being anything but smooth. The turbine smooth IL4 is ruthless with the rider if inputs are not smooth.

6. a mates got one for sale low millage light blue.

7. It was on the slow bends where it was snatchy, enough to unsettle the bike. Other than that which was not a major issue that could be ironed out. Lets just say I as not fizzing and grinning like Marquez afterwards. I really wanted to love it but alas its not meant to be. Not taking anything away from it as it does exactly what it says on the tin.

8. The blade is a "competent" bike. The 675 is a great bike. The 899 is like the 675........ plus some ;)

9. Thats what I'm imaging the 899 to be like, I have tried twice now to get an 899 demo. Rang DMC to arrange, turned up a few days later to be told they had no demo 899 and it was a mystery as to who took the booking!!! (wasted morning) A while later I tried again via Ducati UK website. Choosing DMC and the 899, 2 weeks later I gets an email from DUK asking if I the dealer had been in touch I clicked No and I have heard fuck all since!! Not hugely bothered as wont be doing anything for a few months yet. Not a great service

Honda and Trumpet where great to deal with and bang on the ball.

10. I absolutely love the 675R, its a brilliant bit of kit.

I find Hondas to be very well put together, highly capable bikes but a little sterile if you know what you mean.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. I think I know what characteristics you are talking about with the Blade. I used them at the Ron Haslam raceschool on two different days (my sig picture is on the hairpin). The pickup of the throttle is notchy on the slow corners, there's a very slight dead spot before it engages, almost like taking the slack out of the drive train except it is the throttle/fuelling. Other than that though I think they are an almost perfect bike for a track weapon. I think the fact that they are such a non emotional 'tool' rather than something you love is what makes them so good on track where you just need it to do the job in hand. The fueling everywhere else is absolutely perfect in every way. The handling was stunning and so easy after my 2003 Yamaha R1 (which I still love by the way), riding the Honda was what got me looking at new bikes because they were just so much better than the older models.

I test rode the Daytona 675 before the Panigale and like you said it was even better than the Honda, bar having the power at full throttle. I found that whilst the Honda would drop into a turn amazingly easy, the Daytona would also stand up again just as easy. I've not been riding very long but the confidence that the Daytona gave me was ridiculous. Even on the test ride I was at full lean after only 15 minutes on the bike without any kind of worry. I'd really like to own one, but I found myself wanting something bigger and then got seduced by the 1199s. As well as that, I think I'd be choosing the 899 anyhow if I do buy a smaller bike as well.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information