1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1200 2010 Engine Gone

Discussion in 'Multistrada' started by Bugsbunny, Dec 16, 2014.

1. well chaps after nearly 4 years of ownership of my white 2010 Mts, looks like the engine has given out. Took it to dealer when I noticed a funny noise on warmup (nothing huge but decided to take it in), ride it everyday so it was just an extra small noise...was told it could be a bearing...and up to 2.5K cost to repair....now just told that lots of damage inside engine and its non recoverable - cracked piston, scoring everywhere.

shocking...been ducati'd serviced from outset...26k miles...ride to and from work everyday on motorway 30 odd miles or so...

waiting for more investigative work but not sure what to do now...

bugs.

2. Nasty!
    I would hope that Ducati help out considering age/mileage and service history?

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Useful Useful x 1
  3. That is crap news.

Has your engine had the heads replaced, just wonder if that is a factor or not?

Mine is a 2010 @ 23k - will have to keep fingers crossed!

4. yes had both heads done at around 18K, temp has been normal. again I caught heads very early on as I ride everyday.

cant understand how it went from a suspected noise and me riding it fine over this year etc to a broken engine

5. I,m a little bemused at the outcome, the little noise you describe turns out to be a cracked piston, so not a bearing? if its a cracked piston and its not broken in any way, cant a new barrel and piston be fitted ?
    Steve

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Bad news this. I have been told the new Ducati engines are not what they used to be. Maybe there is truth in the statement. Too much going on inside a little space.

7. Sorry to hear that.

My 2010 broke a ring at below 15k miles (story posted on here before) and subsequently, in the hands of the new owner, lunched a big end bearing at ~22. The synic in me (and advice from others who know more than me) suggest this was due to them not replacing mains and big ends when they replaced the barrels, heads, and pistons.

Ducati looked after the new owner, paying for the parts but not labour as Dar as I recall.

Good luck, hope you get it sorted ok.

8. Bugs,

That's really bad luck but certainly worth pursuing with DUK to see if they will at least provide the parts FOC as "goodwill"

I have a June 2010 and have decided to keep it until 2016 to get the debugged new VVT engine. Mine has had such an easy life just going out on pleasure rides or long Euro trips and is running great (fingers crossed, touch wood). I hope yours is just a bad example......

Let us know how you get on.

9. "Down vote" ? :Meh:

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Nuke Post Nuke Post x 1
  10. Bummer! Hope you get some support from Ducati bugs

I'm still enjoying my 2010 sport, runs like a dream, not done the same mileage as yours granted, but I do start to worry when I read these stories!

Fingers crossed for you!

11. Bugs dude...really sorry to hear your news.

I wish you all the best with sorting this out. Email Ducati Italy, they will then contact DUK and probably monitor the outcome. This helped me with my Ohlins cracked fork leg (now a workshop replace notice).

It doesn't sound quite right. The noise and then the outcome of the investigation.
    Have you witnessed the damage with your own eyes?

If you have the engine repaired how much warranty will they give you?
    Out there in the www there are a few 2nd hand engines that might be a preferred option.
    If I was going to have a rebuld I'd give it to Luigi moto as a winter project.

On a positive note my 2010 MST1200 is going strong at 33k miles (and up for sale...if you are interested?).

12. How was it run in?

• Like Like x 1
  13. Set fire to it.

• Like Like x 3
  14. with everyday use for work and bigger mileage, I'd have an extended warranty in place?

15. EFA ;)

16. Ugh, that is worrying. My 2010 has about 24K on it. No engine problems at all but the usual litany of electronic woes. If Ducati won't help out on this one and the rest of the bike's in great shape, I'd say an engine from a breakers may be the way to go!

17. If it's anything like my experience (see here), DUK will cover the parts, but you'll be left with a fat bill to cover labour (£1300 in my case - 23,000 miles and full Ducati service history; only 3 months out of warranty). Having spent all that money for no more peace-of-mind, I lost all faith in Ducati and traded the Multi in for a Honda Crosstourer. Not as exciting to ride, but reliable and value-for-money. If it's anything like my previous Honda ownership, it won't corrode to shit after a couple of winters either.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad tidings.

#18 GarySN, Dec 18, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2014
    • Like Like x 2
  18. As a new ducati customer it will be interesting to see the outcome of this regarding support, hope things work out for you, my take on this is if the bike has been regularly services at dealers they should support you with getting this sorted to show that customer satisfaction is important to them (dealers + ducati manufacturer)
    Keep us posted

19. I remember the not so old days. Ducati UK paid up to fix the bikes and that was it.

However, a Harpie couldn't keep it to herself and the goodwill ceased.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information