1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1200 2014 Skyhook Issue....of My Making??

Discussion in 'Multistrada' started by Franksie, Oct 1, 2014.

1. Juat picked up my new 2014 MTS and have to say I,m bloody impressed with the Skyhook having come from a 2011 with Ohlins SCU, ride home I was impressed at the smoothness on rough surfaced roads, however... I disconnected the battery leads to fit a charger lead, reconnected and the suspension went through the usual reset and went for a test ride along the same rode, this time I felt every ripple and bump so something has changed for the worse, both rides were in 1 up touring mode.

Anyone else experienced this ? and solution, don't really want to go back to dealers with tail between my legs ... so to speak

2. In the same mode, Sport vs Touring vs Urban ?

3. Havent tried urban but both Sport and Touring feel the same, hard

4. Time to rtm and get the settings page up then see what its on now

5. Tried looking for the base settings for the skyhook but couldn't find them on the Internet, anyone got a link to them. Not in the manual so don't know what they should be. The suspension display is different on the skyhook model so can't use the old models setting either!

6. Try touring in mid amd see how that goes

7. Whilst looking for a solution and also the stock settings for the suspension I've come across the 2014 dealer service manual on PDF, if anyone wants a copy PM me and will email it over. Mind you, still doesn't tell me what the standard settings are so I can compare them with my readout Grrrr

#7 Franksie, Oct 1, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2014
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  8. Mine were set at middle setting for both. Have a play, I'm not convinced there is a stadnard setting

9. You might find the rear preload has set itself a bit harder.

For ohlins bikes it is suggested that the suspension is cycled from end to end after a battery disconnection. This allows the servo motor to determine max and min settings.

I have no idea what the skyhook version makes of this, but it was necessary for the ohlins version, else it could get itself confused. I discovered this when I took the shock off to have the spring changed.

10. On start up after the battery was disconnected it did cycle through the min and max settings so that was ok so can only assume its confused!!. tried playing with the settings manually and no difference, still rock hard, funnily enough when I checked the settings all the settings were the same whether sport, Urban, or touring

11. Pm me your email. I have a workbook with the defaults for all modes.

• Like Like x 2
  12. Thanks Mike, PM sent

13. Does it make a difference if you have the bike on its centre stand - back wheel off the ground as opposed to on its side stand when you let the bike configure after a battery reconnect?

14. Hi Ron, good question, it was on the side stand when it went thought the cycling on reconnection of the battery, would that effect it??? Could try again with it on the centre stand, would that make a difference

15. Not sure to be honest. I have done it on both and it didn't seem to make any difference. My most recent time was on the side stand but have done it a couple on the centre. It's worth doing it again if you can be bothered.

16. I,lol give it a go on the centre stand, I,m clutching at straws here its worth a shot

17. Tried recycling it on the centre stand but no difference so off to the dealers on Wednesday to gets its brain unscrambled!!
    Mikele, would still like the workshop settings if you could email them, PM sent with email address

18. sent

19. I'm reading this and thinking my bike has been like it from the second time I road it, The damping is rock hard I've even tried turning the rear damping settings up to hard and down to soft but to be honest I cant feel much difference.
    Have you been on a long run while it's been like it is? how's your lower back / coccyx?

20. Have you had it back to the dealer? Sensor failure or something? Being rock hard when you sit on it is setting preload, whereas rock hard ride is the damping. Have to say mine is massively affected with a change of one setting, with second hardest comp on sport meaning way less dive under braking and harsher ride over bumps than the midle settimg on touring

Do Not Sell My Personal Information