748 full rebuild

Discussion in 'Builds & Projects' started by wwk, Nov 21, 2013.

1. Over winter Ive decided to rebiuld my '98 748 - my track bike. It already has 2001 engine so there is not that many electric isues like with engines with small alternator.
    Ive started some work month ago or sth like that. Most of things I want to do by myself just because I like.

First engine out of frame
    w5ds.jpg

engine splitted
    w19q.jpg

Ceramic coatings on pistons and valves
    95zx.jpg
    atld.jpg

Broken rocker arms
    0m4y.jpg
    and fix (before polishing)
    915v.jpg

More over I want to put DLC on rockerarms and cams - should be more realiable. MBP collets will be also installed, all bearings will be new, including big end bearings.
    I also powder coated frame, swingarm and wheels. More soon...

w5ds.jpg

w19q.jpg

95zx.jpg

atld.jpg

0m4y.jpg

915v.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  2. Nice work; I am no engineering expert but do you need to re-profile the valve seats or guides to allow for the Ceramic coating? what about the cylinders? are they being re-honed to match the Pistons?

Out of interest, why Ceramic coating and not fitting some aftermarket pistons with balanced crank given that it is for track use?

3. Yes I need to reprofile valve seats, will try to do this next week. Guides will stay as they are. Pistons are exactly same diameter as before. Only area where they touch barrels is where piston rings are and this stay stock. I dont want to change bottom of the engine bacause that would increase costs. I already have one ducati where all engine was rebiuld (increased capacity, hi comp, big valves, balanced crank etc) and that was really expensive, especially for my wife ;)

I have serviced front forks yesterday.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Taking it apart is easy. :upyeah:

Putting it back together is a little harder... :frown:

5. :biggrin: Taking apart its not that easy, especially primary gear its bit tricky to remove. Below "ducati special tool" made from clamp and bearing puller. :wink:

xlz7.jpg

xlz7.jpg

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. That's one time where the correct tool really pays off. I recently split my M900 and with the puller it took no more than a couple of minutes - fit it, tighten it, twat it a couple of times with a big hammer and off it came. :upyeah:

• Like Like x 1
  7. Some stuff came back powder coated
    jrn3.jpg

20pp.jpg

jrn3.jpg

20pp.jpg

• Like Like x 3
  8. looking tasty...:upyeah:

9. Woah - any more pictures of the strip down? I have acquired a spare blown engine to strip for practice before I dig in to my SPS and could do with as much guidance as possible!!

• Like Like x 1
  10. That 'special tool is genius. :upyeah:

11. First of all tools.
    That one i did by myself (most of them I did by myself :wink:)
    g45y.jpg
    Thats as You can see its for clutch (to disassemble engine its must have)
    Then heat gun - only if You replace gaskets and orings (might burn them), very useful with alternator nut - its always problem.
    Then wrench for camshaft nuts - made by myself.
    And wrench for camshaft nuts. Thats basically all You need - except of regular suff.

Bad news for my 748, I have measured piston rings and all need to be replaced, maybe tomorrow I wil go to the shop to check barrels but I have bad feelings with them.

There are some highlits, Ive played with Monster on dyno, changed ignition base map (now its more like hypermotad 1100) and seen some huge improvement. Now its more horsepower than on M S4 :biggrin:

g45y.jpg

12. That was close call for my 748
    hgwb.jpg
    xd6y.jpg

hgwb.jpg

xd6y.jpg

13. I have cooked my engine just to get out some bearings.
    mos5.jpg

mos5.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  14. Havent been here for while. Been busy racing supermotards :)
    There is some progress
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

big bore kit came, so it will be 854

• Like Like x 1
  15. And half system
    [​IMG]

I did camtiming as well, now there is 108/108, means longer overlap, suppose to be more midrange.

#16 wwk, Jul 15, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2014
    • Like Like x 2
  16. Finished my beauty. Now it looks like this....

DSC_0170.jpg

2015-08-17 10.17.53.jpg

• Like Like x 3
Do Not Sell My Personal Information