1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

749 Voltage Drop

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by casey749, Apr 23, 2014.

1. Intermittent issue - voltage drop when starting engine. Sometimes, when starting engine in the morning there is a voltage drop - instrumental panel getting blank, clock resetting itself and starter not cranking. At second attempt, engine starting perfect. So far, I replaced starter motor relay on new, cleaned all connectors, fitted additional earth wire. Any ideas guys?

2. Yep, buy a new battery.

These issues are pretty normal and are magnified if you have an alarm and dont use the bike every day.

If I leave mine more than a week it does it but if its just a week its fine.

One way around it is to connect to an optimate for an hour first, then remove optimate and start as its just a weak battery.

3. Battery is nearly new. I tried to start yesterday after 6 days stay in garage, started at first time, any voltage drop. Started today, voltage dropped. Afternoon after job, the same. I going to check main "+" terminal for dry solder.

4. Did you charge it fully first? What battery did you go with?

Alarmed? If so, that is prob the drain.

If you started the bike for the first time in 6 days but didnt ride it and then started it the next day to ride it will have drained the battery enough to be an issue and cause it to reset. Its daft as a mate owns a TL1000 which sits in the garage 11.99 months of the year and even after that time it starts first press of the button. Serious!

Your problems are very common and it normally comes down to either poor battery/ earth/relay/coil/plugs/ need of service.

Go out on it for a proper ride every day for a week and see if it keeps happening.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information