1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

848 leaky radiator

Discussion in '848 / 1098 / 1198' started by 848dude, Aug 31, 2012.

1. Hi there

I've got an 848 that's just over 3 years old. Spotted some drops of water around the hole in the left fairing panel after a run, which has got a bit worse over the last few days. Thought it might be a loose hose clip.

I've just taken the fairing off and run the bike, inspected it closely with a torch and there's a leak coming from the very top left corner of the radiator - water is collecting around the top row of cooling fins and there's an occasional, very very fine jet of water squirting out.

Bugger.

Anyone experienced similar problems? Any ideas what can be done? Can it be fixed or is it a new rad? How easy would it be to do it myself? Any thoughts appreciated.

Cheers

2. As per other replies on this subject ...take it to your dealer for replacement. Common prob on pre-evo models they should do the rad and associated bracket at no cost.

3. Thanks for the quick response, I'll try ringing Moto Rapido tomorrow and see what they say

4. My god, thought we'd seen the last the old leaking from the top left of the radiator threads :smile: Like they said get to your local dealer, should be done under warranty

5. I had the same problem with my 2009 848 shortly after I got it. It was about 1 year old and had done about 1800 miles at the time, first I knew was that my boot was soaking wet when I got back from a ride. But I had wondered what that funny smell was!

Dealer changed it under the manufacturers warranty, that will have expired on yours but if the dealer is worth their salt they should do it free of charge.

6. Re-igniting an old thread.

got the dreaded damp patch at the top left of radiator, with some spray marks on the vent in the left fairing. Took it off and there's signs of spray on the underside of the air tube, top of battery and on the coolant pipes.

time for a call to MR to see what they can do.

7. Yep, my 1098 did it at 11000 miles. Dealer replaced free of charge even though the bike was well out of warranty.

8. Im hoping that will be the case when I ring MR today, or there might be some heated words. Need it sorting quick, got snetterton in a week.

9. They should do as it is a manufacturing fault and is known by Ducati. When the radiators were fitted to the bikes the bolt between the radiator mounting and the bike was over torqued causing over stress on the radiator mounting, which over time with vibration causes a hair line fracture and the leak. Ducati Preston agreed over the phone and I just dropped the bike off. Took about a week to sort because they had to order the radiator.

10. Ducati supplying a new radiator, I have to pay an hours labour. Happy with that:tongue:

Do Not Sell My Personal Information