1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

848 Radiator Part 548.4.074.1b

Discussion in 'Wanted' started by Shah, May 9, 2014.

1. Hi. Got the dreaded leak from the top left mount. Ducati UK appear to have washed their hands of it as they say the radiator has lasted 6 years so bugger off, I can kind of understand that...anyway, if anyone got one kicking about or using as a paper weight, I would be definitely interested in it!

2. Get it repaired!

3. I tried k seal to no avail. I will love you forever if you can tell me how I can repair it!

4. You need to remove the radiator and pack it well unless you can drop it off. This is a couple hors job at most. Call arrow radiators at Bristol, ask for Phil Stroud and say Kim brown said you can fix it and he will advise. If not google local reputable radiator repairer in your area and speak to them. You need confidence they can do it. A new one costs £600 ish! You may be lucky on eBay but they are like the rocking horse unless you end up with an old one with no guarantee.
    Suggest you flush the system out when removed as you have put that stuff in it which is not good as it can block the water ways and cause overheating. If it is the standard problem or just a hole then this should be no problem, if for any reason it is more eg rotten or corrosion the you may need to wait until you get one. Hope this helps.

5. Awesome! Founds a place called fast rads in Abercarn who say they should be able to sort it. Thought k seal was ok to stay in but would feel better getting it out as you say aswell. Thanks very much for your help!

6. Glad to help. Let us know how you get on.

7. Hi Dukeman, i removed the radiator. managed to do so without shearing any bolts or in my case blowing the bike up. I've been reading on flushing the gunk out now, when i bled the system, the stuff was pretty crap coming out!
    Reading up on the net, a lot of people got different ways, any idea on the easiest way to do it? Also, how do you 'burp' the system as people mention?

8. Sounds good, not flushed out the bike but I would just use a hose and wash it through both hose inlets and then take the overflow cap off. Could be messy but outside should be fine. YouTube sometimes shows you. As for the burp, when you fill it make sure it is all full including overflow and pump the hoses and once you start it, leave it for a little while with rad cap off and you should see the level drop and bubbles coming up, just repeat until the level sets and ensure correct level in the overflow.

9. All done and back on the road! Fast rads done the repair for 90, flushed the entire system with water and used a syphon from halford to clear the resovoir. Fiddly to put the rad back in and had to have it hanging out whilst I filed it whilst running the engine as I didn't want to take nose cone off. Worked well and got all the air out the system and checked coolant after riding next day and all seems fine. Now I'm selling it as I just had a bit of good news about a little one. Maybe get a monster for a year or so before returning to the sports bike! Dukeman, thanks for all your help, saved me a bundle!

10. Well done mate. It's good when you do stuff and it works;)

Not sure about access without the nose cone. I know the air tube hides the cap. There is a video showing using a garden sprayer how to fill it through the drain plug on the water pump housing which is cool if you ever need to refill it.

Ride safe
    Kim

Do Not Sell My Personal Information