1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

998 Track Bike

Discussion in 'Builds & Projects' started by Fastline, Aug 25, 2013.

1. Here's the bike

just a quick question here

I have a set of carbon fiber black gel coat race fairings i got these years ago for a 748 Road bike and was disgusted with the quality, but there the old 916 style anyone use these on a 998

Can i just chop out where they hit stuff (Ducts on panels hitting coils, No hole for side stand)

Whats the options here can it be done or will i be just wasting my time with these fairings

Or who should i go too for cheap deal on new
    IMG_0080.jpg IMG_0089.jpg

IMG_0080.jpg

IMG_0089.jpg

2. Its a track bike...make it fit :upyeah:

• Like Like x 1
  3. Just the encouragment i was looking for, but have others made these fit

4. Here's some bits i had laying around in the shed for about 6 years

Think these got to go on, can anyone help where would be best place to go for brake pads for the AP calipers and what would i even ask for this was all ebay purchases from years ago so not got lots of info on them
    IMG_0093.jpg

IMG_0093.jpg

#4 Fastline, Aug 25, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2013
  5. Great start then!

6. I think you will be carving big lumps out of the fairing to make it fit and it won't look that nice, it's better to use the later 748/996 flat style fairings. Why not just sell the fairings on and buy some decent fibreglass ones.

7. As far as I know 916 style side panels wont fit a 998 because of the air scoops interfere with fit. You could always cut lumps out etc, but its a lot of hassle. 998 panels do fit 9*6 bikes though.

8. You'll find the ECU and the coils will be the thing most in the way and cutting lumps out of an old style panel is bound to leave them more vulnerable to damage in a crash.

9. The bikes engine has had the full monty work done to it by sigma racing, so hopefully will be fairly reliable, on that note its done 64 miles in two years would I really need to change the belts anytime soon, I've got lots of experience working on Japanese engines and have rebuilt engines but most I've done to the Ducati is spark plugs, I really want to be able to do the belt changes and valve clearance my self, where's best place for service spares and with regard to belts and valve shims is there a set of different thickness available or just a case of ordering what's needed

10. I have a set of very good quality fibreglass red flat side fairings that I have never fitted. I bought them as spares for my SPS.
    I am open to offers if you want them. Don't really want to post them but would be happy if you want to pick them up.
    Cheers,

R

11. I used to use Sigma for my 998 before they stopped working on Ducati's and Neil Spalding went off to do other work. The full monty was a minor blueprint and setup as I remember costing about £1000 plus parts at the time. Changing belts is a real must if it's been standing but the rest should be OK depending on how many miles the bike has done overall and when the other work took place and how many miles it has done since. Oil should be changed, Motul would be the best to use but it's expensive and a decent oil filter, Ducati filter's have shown problems in the past with O ring leakage and problems with the filter bodies in some cases so use something like a Hi-Flo or some other decent oil filter

Snell's took over the clients of Sigma when they closed but I never went to them as they were too far away for me. Hope this helps

12. And problems start

Just trying to fit the Aluminium subframe i beleve was a sps single seat wotsit, could be totally wrong here

I just rushed out and ebayed a carbon undertray, but i just thought ill fit the plastic one back for now grr holes are totally different

Whats the carbon one going to be like

DUCATI 748 916 996 998 CARBON FIBRE SEAT UNDERTRAY *NEW* | eBay

Says it fits all, bet it wont fit mine :mad: doom gloom

Going to see if i can bypass the alarm system now can tell this will be fun

13. If you wait a couple of days I can sell you mine which has been used for one trackday for 80quid inc postage. And bin the alarm completely. Nothing but a pin in the arse and the source of many running problems. I a;so have a set of carbon airtubes, again 80 quid

#13 Cranker V2, Aug 26, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2013
    • Like Like x 1
  14. Fools rush in and all that, all ready ordered

Carbon air tubes i like the sound of that, is there loads of option here though or all the same

15. This alarm removal looks like a right P.I.T.A my wiring diagram not even showing it grr anyway ill get there

What about this guys, anyone know or got a pic of what should go on this subframe to support single seat unit IMG_0098.jpg IMG_0099.jpg

IMG_0098.jpg

IMG_0099.jpg

16. Some pics for those that like pics
    IMG_0086.jpg IMG_0087.jpg IMG_0088.jpg
    Not entirely happy with the way the stem fitted, doesnt seem all the way home may need to take this off and have another look

I fitted it years ago i remember it was super tight, got some taper rollers on order so be nice when bike is sitting on the ohlins road and track forks

IMG_0086.jpg

IMG_0087.jpg

IMG_0088.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  17. dont like the bolts on the outside of that bottom yoke.........looks like they will touch the fairing.........was it for a ducati?

18. Yeah believe it was a kit that harris did, sure it must be for ducati as steering stem from ducati and came with the forks and wheel spindle all for ducati

Do Not Sell My Personal Information