1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Air Box mod. produces more oomph!

Discussion in 'Multistrada' started by Wrecked, Feb 14, 2013.

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  1. Interesting, very interesting :biggrin: Thanks for posting and how can we introduce those Swedes to this site?

These are serious gains and it will be interesting to follow how others get on and their experiences in use. What if you don't get the ECU tweaked? May un too lean I guess.
    Airbox mod.jpg

Airbox mod.jpg

2. Hi Kirky, - yes, v. interesting indeed, especially as

a) After his remap it made virtually no difference below 7500 rpm (so surely couldn't have been a full custom job??) - although I think his bike is apparently the best stock MTS the tuner has seen.

b) But then after the airbox mod. the low end gains (3250 rpm for e.g.) are huge.

3. I've been looking into similar mods on a streetfighter. Stuff like this goes back to chopping the tops off SS and Monsters for the midrange.
    I wouldn't bother doing the right hand side mod. The intake tract he's cut off houses the air temp sensor and also gives some "ramair" effect. That's lost and won't show up that well in a static dyno test.

4. motors are very simple, basically glorified airpumps the more air you can pump in and out the more power you make

hence less restrictive pipes and airfilters = more power if the mixture is right

5. I believe Chris was aware of it when I had mine remapped, I recall him mentioning that it made a couple of extra hp but that it wasn't really worthwhile given that my output was pretty good.

As far as "the Swedes" go, my experience is that they were very defensive and aggressive when questioned, and deliberately evasive and misleading to people they were meant to be working in conjunction with. Some of the other theories in those threads look a bit weak too - for example that "ram air has no effect at all"

6. I recently did the airbox intake snorkel part of this modification together with swapping out the K&N style air filter that comes with the full Termi setup. Even though I haven't opened up the left-hand side of the airbox my seat of the pants dyno system reports that the bike pulls better than ever (more torques :D) - a noticeable improvement rather than one of those 'I think it's better' changes ;-)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

.....and I refitted the rubber concertinaed joiner held in place with a cable tie having cut the flappy ends off

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I noticed that on the ducati.ms site there are a LOT of people recommending the MWR air filters, after some research (including speaking to Wilco at MWR, Tom at Hypertrick.net and Ian at speedycom.co.uk [Uk distributor for MWR]) I decided that was definitely the way to go.....

Tom recommended the MWR filters as against any other 'performance' filter due to the superior seal you get within the airbox i.e. no way anything bypasses it.

MWR air filter from Speedycom Performance Ltd

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  7. I forgot to say......with the full Termi and the mapping of the 'Race' ECU the bike was running a bit rich so this may account in part at least for the immediate apparent benefit of opening up the air intake.

Added benefits............removal of the intake panel from side of the airbox will be easier in future....and beak removal.

8. its a misleading mod

to do a comparison you need to run a fully mapped bike on both cylinders , do the mod then map that for fuel and spark on both cylinders. Then you see the real difference.

The only thing you gain is sound and a top end ram air loss. I can see this on my dyno because I have the wind speed where others don't

Recently we have put the snorkles back on two bikes .

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1

9. Yes correct

Also an engine takes what it needs and not what flow you think you can give it by opening something .

Look at the 749r . Tiny airtubes that are way smaller than a 748 . We built one with 160 plus hp recently ( bored to 998 cc) Out of Interest we slapped on some huge carbon ones from louigimotos store. Made a run , corrected the fuel for the bigger tubes and saw no gain at all.

Changing the subject , I want to map a bike that uses bens decat. If the result is good I'll be reccomending them along with the Leo and could prob keep a few in Stock

#10 CJS, Apr 28, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 29, 2014
  10. Hi Chris and thanks for that, my bike is definitely running better/pulling harder (even though I didn't open up the left side of the airbox) as has been reported by a lot of owners, some of whom have had Dyno tuning alongside the mod.....in fact it was Tom of Hypertrick that developed this mod as reported by one of his regular customers whose bike was tuned and tested on Tom's dyno.

The two bikes you've replaced the snorkel on.....MTS1200s?
    I guess the actual airbox acess panel//intake had not been modified then i.e. the size of the opening increased?

I wouldn't dream of arguing with an expert!.....but a couple of points/observations

- it is possible that there could be an adverse affect on 'top end' (as you point out before and after Dyno would be the proof) but for me as a road rider that's of no consequence - but one of my rides since the mod was hard 'n' fast over 100+ miles of great North Devon roads and the bike was brill :D

- loss of ram air effect......I find it hard to accept that there is much if any such effect with the MTS1200. The opening to the snorkel at the front of the bike is small, partially obscured by the beak panels (effectively the opening is limited to the area outlined in red in the image below) and the snorkel duct far from air tight in any case (you can see daylight a few inches down the intake tube for example). Also I bet air flow to the snorkel opening must be really turbulent due to air deflected from the beak panel pieces arrowed in the pic below....the design/implementation of the snorkel tube hardly makes for smooth air flow either. Maybe at HIGH speeds (100mph....on the track lol) there may be some small benefit to the snorkel being in place?
    ....ok it looks like I sort of argued lol but just expressing my simple logic ;-)

- sound......I've done air box mods on some previous bikes and air intake noise increase was noticeable but I can say I noticed any change with the Mutley (remember I've not opened up the left side of the airbox)

Must get up to have a chat with you some time soon.....did you get my email on another matter earlier today/ ;-)

[​IMG]

11. Yes sealed the left side back up . And put the bend back in on the other side as it reduces air box volume , reduces the ram effect , and upsets the sensonsor in the pipe .

This is the problem . Tuning goes against all simple logic .there are no hard and fast rules . The only rule is what works.

I would like to see an airbox with enhanced scoop or two scoops.

12. Well my logic track record is far from 100%! lol
    Two scoops....there was a guy some time back looking at building himself a carbon airbox with a second intake, I'll have to see if I can find that discussion and see how far he got.

"The only rule is what works." Amen :D ..........and does 'appear' to be the case for me.

Just realised that your last post was cocked up with your reply in the quote so didn't see your further comments before, fixed that......

Bens's decat - I know that Rob (first Ben decat) wants to head up to you but when I last spoke to him he was skint. I'll have a chat with Ben.

13. Err...Chris....this is different advice to that given to me last year!

Any followers of these threads may remember I did the "Air Box" modification prior to the CJS re-map.
    At the time I was told that there isn't any real ram air effect on the MTS1200.

In any event the induction noise is to die for and the power output was really good.

AirConTechnical - Info for you. | Ducati Forum

Also I think how to do it was put on the MTS1200 info site...but I cant find it now?

#14 AirCon, Apr 29, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 29, 2014
  14. I recall discussing this when you were mapping mine. Still not got round to doing anything about it though. :Banghead:

15. Downside is drawing in hot (from engine) air when in heavy traffic...it pops and backfires when opening it up from the lights in London. Fine as soon as you get moving. I can only assume that the hot air is less dense so you are getting the mixture too rich to start with?

16. Just wanting to resurrect this thread following my trip to Scotland over the weekend.

When I purchased my bike I thought it was already running a tad rich as the previous owner had a remap done, I presume to try and smooth out the low end.

It did also occasionally feel hesitant on the throttle but I wasn't sure as it was muted and not easy to pick up on.

I've recently installed the mivv suono and decat which sounds really nice but the hesitancy is definitely more apparent as you can hear it easier for a split second when you get on the gas, also if anything it's either made it even richer OR because there's now no cat there's nothing to filter out that rich smell e.g it's how it was before but now easier to pick up on.
    It also pops occasionally on the overrun which I'm putting down to the rich mixture as all seals are good and it doesn't constantly happen, it's mainly when I've given it loads of gas or held a steady throttle for a while and then opened it up before shut off, that's when we get the bang.

My question is would allowing the bike to get more air reduce the hesitation and the bang as giving it a bit more air will lean it out just a touch?

I was actually thinking of adding the MWR filter and only doing the left hand side mod and leaving the right side 'ram air' part alone

Thoughts on a postcard please:upyeah:

17. at the last take-fairing-off job I did, the rubber wasn't on properly on the snorkel, this meant that the ram air effect I guess was reduced, this meant that the bike wouldn't go above 130. restoring the rubber over the snorkel made a huge different and we're back up to the high 40's / 50 odd.

18. Has anybody other than Andy actually swapped air filters out for a higher flow type such as bmc, k&n etc?

19. Yes. Ive a hi flow filter. Not k&n but a similar short name.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information