1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Attilas Radical Project

Discussion in 'Builds & Projects' started by Attila, Jun 17, 2013.

1. Well as my Track Bike is off to a new owner I thought I might as well put up a thread detailing the plans for my new project.
    The basic plan is convert one of these:
    [​IMG]
    into something similar to this:
    [​IMG]
    That bike is the 9 1/2 race bike built by Radical Ducati, the bike I intend to build will be fully road legal but heavily track biased.
    The bike will keep the same look but will actually be mechanically quite different. That bike uses a monster M900 frame modified to fit a 999 tank and RD Café Racer seat unit and uses a ST2 944cc engine modified to accept a 916 Superbike Swingarm. I am intending to use the ST4 frame and 916cc engine modified to use the 999 tank and the RD Café Racer seat with the S2R/S4R Monster tubular single sided swingarm. The advantage of this is that aside from the seat and tank the majority of the main parts should be pretty much 'bolt together' requiring little or no modification to work.
    As cool as the old 3 spoke wheels are i want to bring the look of the bike up to date a bit, so I will be using the wheels from an 848 which means I will have to swap to the front end off an 848 or a 1098 to get the wheels to fit.
    As easy as I made it sound I am under no illusions about the challenge I have set myself, its going to be a pretty major undertaking but it should be worth it in the long run.
    I am on the hunt for a decent donor bike at the moment, I really can't wait to get stuck in!
    I've been reading through Nuttynick and PHILLIPOs superb radical build threads and i'm sure I will have a few questions for them in the next few weeks...

#1 Attila, Jun 17, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2013
    • Like Like x 5
  2. Look forward to seeing this evolve. Been drooling over Radicals bikes for a while and would love to do one myself but have enough on my plate with 3 dukes draining my wallet.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Sounds good. If I can help in any way then just ask. :upyeah:

• Like Like x 1
  4. Thank you mate, I am sure you will be getting a couple of questions from me fairly soon! :upyeah:

5. nice to see another project in the pipeline.

I would prefer to see a double sided arm. Or if you go single, a 1098 style swingarm.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Sounds cool :cool:.

Just a thought but if you used some aftermarket Marchesinis you could keep the front end and still have the 848 Y-spoke look.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Same here, I'm sure between us we can point you in the right direction when needed! Also Borgopanigale on here (John) is very knowledgeable and knows Pepo well ;-) I'm sure he'd also be happy to help.

• Like Like x 1
  8. I'd have a look into the electrics mate and the speedo. The st dash uses a cable speedo. So if you change the front wheel/front end then the speedo becomes a problem. I'm looking into changing the dash on my project at the moment and using the rear brake calliper bracket of a multistrada 1000 which has the hole mount ready for the speed sensor. Something to think about. I'm also looking into the fuel level sensor. I used a 998 fuel pump which plugs straight in to the st loom but the fuel level doesn't work on the st dash. I'm sure there's a way around these problems. Just a bit of head scratching and planning for you.

9. wow cheers guys, i knew this was the right forum :upyeah:

cheers for the heads up on the issues phillipo, sounds like there will be some kinks to work out. on the fuel pump side i will have to use a 999 one as the mounts are completely different on the tank, im sure that will throw up more issues, as my old structural analysis lecturer used to say 'there's no problems, only solutions'

thats a good idea Oneball, it would certainly be easier although i do prefer the look of the chunky upside down forks and the radial brakes...

10. I run a push-bike speedo on my bike, with the sensor cable-tied to the fork leg and a rare-earth magnet (from Maplin) stuck (magnetically) to one of the disk bolts. Works great. If you want to run a Motogadget or similar then obviously it's a bit more involved as those things need to be powered, but nothing difficult. If you want a nice clean install without wires and cable-ties all over your forks then why not put the sensor through a hole in the sprocket cover with a magnet on one of the sprocket bolts?

I'm also seriously considering doing one of these (a radical style ST4 I mean), I'm in the process of swapping out the motor in my 851 for a 996 from an ST4S so I'll have an ST4 engine looking for a home. I still have the ST4 frame and also in my parts stash I have an S2R/S4R swingarm, 916 wheel, 999 tank, S4R exhaust. Don't want to fork out £200 for a Radical seat unit though!

Good luck with your build and make sure you post lots of photos!

Cheers
    Darren

• Like Like x 1
  11. just a quick update, I am still on the hunt for the right donor bike, I have seen a couple I am interested in but they all seem to be a good trek from Bristol to go have a look at.

I have started to gather some of the parts I need, I picked up a 999 fuel tank for a steal on eBay, and I have been in touch with a welder / fabricator who is happy to do the frame modifications for me.

a quick question for the guys who have already built Radical projects, did you buy your bodywork directly from Radical or did you use a UK supplier? I think I need a Montjuich seat unit but if possible I wouldn't mind having a look at one before I hand over some cash.

12. Only just seen this thread

Yes, happy to help where possible.

I've known Pepo for nearly 20 years and speak with him on a fairly regular basis. I'm due to see him in Madrid around 10/11 August. As Nick will testify, Pepo actually speaks very good English, yet if any of you Radicalistas here want to PM me questions you might have, I'll try and get answers for you

• Like Like x 1
  13. I got mine direct from Radical, it all arrived well packaged from Spain, no issues. I have a Monty seat unit on my bike, although I've cut it down at the front.

14. Fantastic, thank you very much!

15. well that answers that then! Thank you, Nick :upyeah:

16. Here's my stuff when it arrived, it was just like Xmas!

20120928_094115.jpg

20120928_094115.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  17. Yeah got mine direct from rad too no problems. Made my own seat unit though.

18. And so it begins, i can't believe how well the seat unit fits to the 999 tank, it really wont need much work to prepare it for paint...

20130724_205717.jpg

#18 Attila, Jul 24, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2013
    • Like Like x 2
  19. Don't think much of the frame colour :)

• Like Like x 1
  20. Are you after calipers?
    I have a 848 set with very good pads , if yr interested?

Do Not Sell My Personal Information