1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1198 Best Adjustable Clip-ons For 1198

Discussion in '848 / 1098 / 1198' started by bootsam, Oct 24, 2014.

1. Advice sought for adjustable clip ons. I want to bring the bars towards me and for them to be less angled inwards. All advice graciously recieved.

2. Be careful. I bought some chinese ebay and they move and wont tighten any more. Hoping the up/down movement wont be a pain when riding

3. Boots I presume you are referring to your 1198?

The bars on my 749s were adjusted so as they were less angled in, by removing the locating dowel. This removal of the dowel allowed me to swivel the bars exactly at the angle I wanted them. I believe the dowel is just for factory assembly ease! I found that after the adjustment to my preferred position I was getting less numb hands as my weight was distributed more evenly over the bar. Much better for me!
    Can you not move your seat forward, I have a choice of 3 positions on my bike, it's only about 25mm overall from rearmost to forward position but it all helps.

4. I know some on the old 916 used to switch bars left to right

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. Yes John. My 1198. So the pins are not to help secure the bars? Silly me. Doh! might be appropriate...

I too find they angle inwards too much. I find the end press my scaphoids and having broken both, after a while it becomes tender. I also want to move them closer to me. Contrary to popular belief my knuckles don't drag along the floor. Neither am I a T Rex. But I think it sa stretch. In ways its like my old katana. So I want to move them closer and lower the angle. I'm 5'8".

I'd seen some posts like that too brad but never paid it much attention as my 916 fits me fine. It might be something to try on 1198 though. Ta. Hours job. (famous last words)

Ill happily buy some aftermarket ones. I know rental do them, as do gilles and ducabike.

6. And...if they are too wide you can move the clipon so the upright locator pin sist in the top yoke gap rather than the hole. Makes a bit narrower and again I know a few ex 916 riders who have done this on th newer bikes I think because it makes the elbow position more like the 916

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  7. I user to have mine like that for the track so I could hang off and reach outside bar but prefer the wider bar for the road, 2 min job and free...and you dont have to break anything off

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  8. If you do go aftermarkeyt, rethal do varied out positions, ie front of the fork, out middle fork, inside of fork. The Tsangteo biks run one inside, one outside, rider preference. Not cheap

9. I'll try that first. Im off to CJS for Mon, leaving Sun so I can have a good feel. (oooer). :upyeah:

10. Ask him while you arethere, Rich is notoriuos for well set up and rideable Ducatis and always seems happy to give free advice over a coffee

11. I don't have personal experience of them, but the BMW community are firm backers of Helibars. Never heard a bad word said about them. They make them for the 1x98 too.

Ducati 848/1098/1198 Replacement Handlebars | HeliBars - Heli Modified, Maine

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  12. I flipped them on my road bike. Made huge difference today to day usage/comfort.
    Bit easier on the older clip ons as you don't need to remove the headstock. Is worth a try, you will also have to drill new holes to locate the switchgear/throttle locating tabs...... or cut them off.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  13. Its easier to drop the forks than remove the headstock, if you can get the height you domt even need to take the wheel out

14. I'm going to try Brads :upyeah: suggestion today of rotating the bars a bit and locating the pin in the yoke gap. I'm off to the garage in a minute, then taking bike for a spin to make sure nothing rattles off after putting the coated 70's on. Good call about asking Rich a LM. I'll have a good chat with him on Monday whilst Chris does his thing.

15. Where you based boots? Am off down SW in a bit meet couple of other guys

16. I've tried flipping the clips ons on my 748 and didn't like it. It no longer feels like a sportsbike as the bars are flat.

I'm currently looking at trying these out.

Apex GP Clip-Ons Set

Not only is the angle adjustable but the bar itself fits closer to the fork tube rather than in front of it, which apparently gives a much better feel and input.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  17. I'm in Caterham Brad. As usual I leave things late. Not even booked a hotel yet. I leave tomorrow. Just done shakedown and nothing fell off or rattled loose. Its still a pig under 3k and pulling away is a making my clutch squeal like a piggy. Its a bit of an on off switch pulling away. But the top end rush I noticed from the 70's on that stretch before godstone. whoo hoo. The bike sounds like a really angry bastard now.

18. Just bought some helibars from fleabay. Lets see what these are like....

[​IMG]

Do Not Sell My Personal Information