1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

749 Black Swing Arm Questions Again!

Discussion in '749 / 999' started by Rob5, Jan 11, 2015.

1. Having just bought a 749 dark, 05 but with the grey swing arm, I have read a lot about the differences in the updated black arm. I have come to the conclusion that a rider of my ability would know no difference, however, as it is a dark model and the wheels have already been sprayed black, the grey arm stands out a bit. Is it a fairly easy job to change to a black swing arm or should I just get it powder coated black?

2. If yours is an 05 Dark should it not have a black swing arm as standard?

3. I had a 749 dark 2006, black swing arm.
    And I have attached the demo I took out which was a red bike yuk but again a black swing arm.

2006-07-29 - 05.jpg

2007-08-01 Ducati 749 red Demo.jpg

4. So which swing arm have you got, the one like my first pair of pics or like this?

ducati-749_key_4.jpg

ducati-749-s-03.jpg

5. He says in his first line, "Having just bought a 749 dark, 05 but with the grey swing arm"
    Gives the info you ask.

• Like Like x 1
  6. And the clue is in the name ;-)

7. Ok you pair of smart arses so someone might not have sprayed the swing arm then?
    Obviously there are two types of swing arm one is a box section ally by the looks of it and the other a sand cast grey. So just trying to ascertain which type he has rather than colour.
    To be honest I prefer the look of the grey swing arm in the second set of pictures rather than the box section black one.
    If that is what he has (grey) and wants it black I think powder coating is best solution rather than replacing.

The supposed reason for the box section swing arm is that it is more rigid, and has a better weight distribution across the whole swing arm where the grey one is slightly weightier towards the axle end, I think overall weight difference between the two is about 1kg, box section being the lighter one.
    Personally I think the box section is cheaper to make and seeing as the 749 is an entry level Ducati they decided they would cut the cost of manufacturing, the grey swing arm is what you would normally find on the biposto versions.

IMHO unless you are Rossi/Bayliss/Stoner or an avid racer you would never feel the difference.

#7 Cupid Stunt, Jan 13, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2015
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. I agree.

On both counts. :) But you did rather set that one up yourself...!

The yellow / white with grey frame and cast swing-arm is one of my favourite combos. Would have to see pictures of the 749 Dark to pass judgement (ahem, on the original point at least :Angelic:). If it's got a grey frame I'd probably leave the swing-arm as it is?

9. But suppose you didn't want to leave it as it is, is it a straight swap to the later swingarm? This, I think, is what the OP would like to know.

10. and it looks a whole lot better.:Kiss: ( which is prob why he wants to change it )

11. I prefer the grey it has a nicer line to it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Well thanks for all the replies, even if they havent actually answered the question! I have read that being an 05 it should have the black box section arm but I must have got one of those inbetween bikes that just missed out. It does have the grey frame, but I've had the wheels sprayed black and with a few carbon bits I think the grey arm looks out of place.

Just wanted to know how easy it is to remove the swingarm myself and get it powder coated really. Didn't realise the newer black swingarm wasn't really much of an improvement. Thanks for the info.

IMG_0628.jpg

13. agree with Cupid though, I do think the grey has a better shape to it. Powder coating is the way to go then I think.

14. very nice mate,,,,, I notice your bike also has the earlier fairing , so grey frame and swing arm are in keeping with that model .

15. Oh didn't know that the fairings changed as well. Wonder why its an 05 plate then? Maybe it was late registered?

16. That's a '03-'04 model which has been registered '05. It has (had) the grey wheels, frame/subframe and swingarm and also has old model belt covers and fairing.

17. Oh great. Should have done a bit more research then. I bought an 05 because I was trying to avoid the dreaded electrical faults I read the earlier bikes suffered from. Judging by my dash which has a mind of its own and the fact it takes 10 minutes to get her started in the cold I should have known!

18. If I remember rightly you might have fitment issues with the black swingarm clearing the earlier (shallow-sump?) exhaust, so I wouldn't bother with attempting the swap. Almost nobody would be able to tell the difference from the saddle for sure.

I'd go for powder coating too. :upyeah: Be interested to see how that looks!

cheers,
    Dom

• Like Like x 1
  19. The early grey cast arms straight swop over for the later black box section but i don't think the early exhaust downpipes will fit. Might be possible to modify the pipes.
    The later arm is lighter and stronger and come up on ebay for around £300.

• Useful Useful x 3
  20. Yes, the later black swingarms looks better on the black bike - in fact on all of them. Sorry about that.
    But from a riding point of view? You'd have to be track god to tell the difference, in my view.

DSC_0009.JPG

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information