1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

For Sale Broken 748...

Discussion in 'Parts, Accessories & Clothing For Sale' started by Jon507, Apr 24, 2015.

1. Hi, my 748 has just been diagnosed as needing some new piston rings...anyone any suggestions as to the best dealer to get them from...The rebuild will have to be done on a budget and so overpriced parts are not an option. Good pattern parts may be ok too.

2. You won't find cheap piston rings I bought a set from a Dealer a couple of years ago £100+ per cylinder. People will recommend getting aftermarket high comp Pistons.
    I wonder how they do it Range Rover rings are £10 a piston

3. 853 conversion it is then.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Try eBay for matching barrels and pistons and you should find for a stock 748 they are quite cheap relatively speaking, and the wear on the barrels will match the pistons.

I have had several 748 SPS parts from eBay at really decent prices despite their rarity and that included barrels and pistons and some very rare SPS cams.

5. Thanks guys....I think I will have to go down the route of second hand for now...Ducati Manchester quoted 103 +....eeek. Money making scandals I feel. £10 for a Land Rover piston says it all!!!

6. 853 does sound tempting though!!!

7. Just a shame it's play time and not October when you could take 6 months.

8. If it was me I'd go with the 853

#9 VtwinDave, Apr 25, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2015
  9. or just put a 999 engine in it.....

10. Has anyone on here actually fitted a 853 kit , are they reliable , where can you get them and what sort of money ?

11. if its more oomph you are after then by the time you have done the faffing about you might of as well of put a more reliable bigger better stronger motor in it ..i think the 853 came from an earlier era time has moved on....just my opinion..

12. Of course the bigger newer engine would be the better option but if you were to go down the 853 route then I can confirm that it turns the 748 into a very nice bike to ride with noticably more torque while retaining the ability to rev, mine has been totally reliable with decent fuel economy.
    Steve

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. There has been endless discussion about an 853 conversion and you have two camps, the "I've done it and it's great" camp and the "I don't understand why you wouldn't fit a bigger and newer engine" camp. I sit firmly in the I've done it camp and I'm going to do it again with my current 748RS engined track bike because it suits me and my desire to balance horsepower and torque for fun and not something that is going to spit me off if I get a bit too enthusiastic. I'm afraid your costs don't stop with the purchase of something like the EVR kit because the supplied EPROM is generic and you will usually get more benefit from a proper mapping session, cue another £400 to £600. To tie you over and get you back on the road the second hand route makes a lot of sense. Andy

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. when around 1995?

trust me a testastretta revs and has more power than a 916 or a 996 and most importantly its more reliable...........and more available....

15. hi mate not sure if your interested but i have a pair of 748 pistons with rings,came out of a perfectly working bike before i went the 853 route,pm if ya interested bud.

16. I have a spare set of 748R barrels and pistons in great nick if interested ;)

17. Thanks for the heads up Steve,I didn't actually know this.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information