1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

748 Can Anyone See Any Obvious Problems With This Bike??

Discussion in '748 / 916 / 996 / 998' started by Mobiz, Jul 25, 2014.

1. Hi guys, im thinking about buying this 748. I have had a 749 before, so im no stranger to ducati, but with the different years/models of 748's i find it a bit difficult to spot if all the details are correct! Does this bike look right or has it been down the road or victim to dodgy mods? Thanks in advance! ducati 748 | eBay

2. Yeah i will definately HPI it to get any major info but just hoping to identify any repairs that might not have been reported or a respray or the wrong forks/wheels/genuine exhaust type of thing

3. It's a 748E. It has stock Termignoni's which is fair enough but clearly has had several other non standard parts fitted to it. The shock spring is not stock and is possibly a Hyperpro. It has a cover over the swinging arm which could be there to hide accident damage.

It's got some strange clips halfway up the fork leg and I can't see why they are there. There are quite a lot of other mods that could be mentioned but it is a far from standard bike. The main point is that it would be expected to have Termignoni's on a bike like that if you were spending money on everything else, but it hasn't, possibly indicating it might have been dropped and the stock exhausts put on to sell it.

I would see it in the flesh and then have it HPI'd. I would say it looks decent enough for the money but I would give the bike a very thorough going over and see the full service history and check the V5 etc.

#4 Red998, Jul 26, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2014
  4. yeah id say its been through pro twins at some point with the hyper pro rear spring...

5. mot expires 7th July 2015.....

not taxed...ran out 9th April 2014

registered on 29th Oct 2001

6. Thanks guys, i was wondering why the shock spring was purple! I take it someone has had it resprung for their weight then? I will follow that advice red998!

7. I think those clips on the fork legs are there to protect from stine chips though its an odd way to do it.

Looks like its been well cared for but service history is very important. Ask when it was last done and what history it has with it particularly when were the belts last changed.

8. The E is a very basic model and if he had the back spring done you would hope the front might have been done to match. If he used it solo he might have gone for a softer spring so it's worth checking the rate to make sure it's suitable for how you want to use the bike.

You also might want to ask where some of the stock parts have gone and if they come with the bike.

#9 Red998, Jul 26, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2014
  9. those hyper pro springs are a very progressive spring...built for comfort not speed..

Hyperpro Springs
    Quality progressive fork and rear springs
    For cost-efficiency reasons, new bikes are equipped with linear springs, which can result in suspension bottoming out over large bumps and holes. Compressing the top half of this type of spring takes just as much force as compressing the bottom half, which ultimately means that the top of the spring is too rigid, and the bottom too supple. Hyperpro produce a full range of progressive springs whereby the top half is more easily compressible, and compression of the bottom half is much harder. Improving your bikes suspension, may just be the most important change you ever make.

10. That looks the wrong colour for a Hyperpro spring. Could just as easily be a Maxton.

11. Thanks guys, i rang the seller. The bike was taken as a px on a newer bike by pro twins. The previous owner took it in for a service &was told it needed a new clutch &a bit of work so he traded it in. Protwins are not directly selling it,its another dealer who doesnt know anything about the bike! The log book &service history were all lost between the last owner &protwins so the bike is now registered to protwins. It has a new clutch but no record of belt changes or anything else or any original parts. Think i'l walk away from this one!

12. Might be worth a look and see if you can knock him down a bit. A thorough look over in the flesh may reveal some bargaining points.

13. Offer them £2k, gotta be worth a try and it would be a bargain at that price.

14. They are not directly selling it yet it's in their name. Dealers don't loose history on assets generally either. Don't know Pro Twins so can't comment on them, although I have bought some new magnesium cam covers off them which i was very pleased with :)
    Someone on here will advise on Pro Twins I'm sure.

Main thing when looking - insist on the fairing / bodywork being removed, its only a 5 min job. Check the finish on the paint is similar on all panels, i.e. factory orange peel ;) any repairs will very likely show up as a much smoother finish and contrast against other panels. Check for plastic weld repairs on the inside of all the panels. You will also see instantly how the bike has been cared for, how clean it is, and how bad the engine lacquer has deteriorated.

Service history is important, but if Pro Twins can be trusted to do belts and a full valve check and you knock them down a bit it could be a good buy - insist on the readings for the valve check for proof. As I said, someone may know of Pro Twins integrity.
    If they know what they are about and have a good reputation I wouldn't think they would have got themselves involved in a Lemon - but even dealers who know their trade sometimes do. You are at least doing the right thing by being wary!

15. Didn't someone recently buy a 1098 trackbike that a trader sold with PT history? and when the buyer on here called them, they weren't helpful at all

16. No, I think your getting mixed up with a 916 / 996 Foggy or something along those lines ;)

17. sorted for you:Brb:

18. That rear tyre has been to the edge, not usually done on the road.!

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Mine have and I'm really not really that fast or brave, I just lean to the left, then I go and lean to the right... :Cigar:

Do Not Sell My Personal Information