1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

749 Clutch Advice

Discussion in '749 / 999' started by Simon Peck, Jan 27, 2015.

1. Hi New to the forum so need a bit of advice.
    Bought a mint 749r from a gent off here. Only passed my test last week and today took it for a little ride up the street (it was dry and as I'm not riding until the sun shines, it felt only right that i at least got it moving forward with me on it).
    The clutch was really grabby and after stalling 4 times i eventually got forward motion but then i stalled when at low revs. I had warmed it up but is this normal??
    I took my test on a GSXR650 and they taught me to use the clutch excessively but on the 749r it doesn't seam possible. is it just an experience thing that i am going to have to get used to and master or does it need some attention.
    The bikes an 05 with 1800 miles so practically brand new.
    Any advice or comments welcome

2. Hi New to the forum so need a bit of advice.
    Bought a mint 749r from a gent off here. Only passed my test last week and today took it for a little ride up the street (it was dry and as I'm not riding until the sun shines, it felt only right that i at least got it moving forward with me on it).
    The clutch was really grabby and after stalling 4 times i eventually got forward motion but then i stalled when at low revs. I had warmed it up but is this normal??
    I took my test on a GSXR650 and they taught me to use the clutch excessively but on the 749r it doesn't seam possible. is it just an experience thing that i am going to have to get used to and master or does it need some attention.
    The bikes an 05 with 1800 miles so practically brand new.
    Any advice or comments welcome

3. I think you'll master it in time. A little ride up the street probably isn't enough of a go to work out if there's anything wrong. You are probs just not used to it.
    All the best with your new toy!

4. oh and you only really need to post it in one section or you will get several different threads on the same topic running...

most search new posts using the new posts button so it'll come up.....

5. Simon,,, maybe you are as new to forum etiquette as you are to your 749r,,,,,,pity people cant just answere your question,, I would if I could but I am also new to the 749 so cannot help,,, enjoy your new toy and I hope you soon learn to master the clutch,, it might take a little longer to master the nuance of this forum,, good luck...

6. thanks, shit myself, but as you say practice is needed

7. thanks, didn't realise i had posted 4 times only pressed it once then it froze. are u having the same issue?

8. Hello and welcome to the forum
    Can't help with 749 but my SS I had to rev a bit and slip clutch so as not to stall
    Happened a couple of times make sure you have both feet on the floor or there abouts just incase it catches you out then you should be balanced ok

9. Yep it's that alright when it happens first time

10. thanks, need some practice. was going to wait till the sun shines but couldn't wait. looked like the newbee i am :)

11. I know it's soooooo tempting to get on with it when the bike is sat there just waiting for a run
    Lots of practice the 749 will be different from your learner bike
    Have you tried full lock yet :)

• Like Like x 1
  12. full lock wasn't great just getting out of the drive was a challenge. might have to get a moped to learn on :)

13. Hopefully ET our resident leader can merge them
    He is out playing at the mo in the snow so he may be a while
    You will get ribbed so watch out for the banter it's normal :)

14. Lol you will use your feet a lot
    It's a 99 point turn

15. not afraid of banter. more afraid of the bike :(

16. So was I lol I couldn't do a bloody right turn because of the lock
    Had to relearn my positioning and feet

17. personally i think its a foolish jump, test one week, ducati 749R the next ...

18. i passed my test last week. did my cbt in december. at 45 never ridden a bike but my midlife crisis is now complete. dad not talking to me wife disillusioned and worried.
    does this all sound familiar?

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1

19. Let's try and keep him safe then with good advice ;)

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. OK, dont ride this bike yet.......

Do Not Sell My Personal Information