1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Clutch leak?

Discussion in '749 / 999' started by domRusty, Jul 22, 2013.

1. The last few weeks I've noticed that if I pull the clutch in and hold it, the clutch will gradually (over 20secs or so) re-engage. Caught me out once when I was waiting at a roundabout and had to hit the kill switch as the bike started moving forward... :eek:

Now that I'm aware of it I don't sit in gear for any length of time. Pumping the lever does the trick if necessary.

I'm guessing there must be a leak somewhere but can't see any signs of fluid. Could it just be seeping back past the piston in the Master cylinder??

Any ideas?

cheers,
    Dom

2. What bike, age etc?

3. Fluid getting hot and losing effectiveness?

4. Sounds a little like the plates are starting to wear. Couple of things I'd have a go at. First swap the fluid out just for piece of mind, also re-adjust the lever at the little grub screw on the handle gradually to see if it improves.

One other thing that I've found helps in general clutch fluffiness is to have the pushrod out and apply a little grease at both ends and along its length.

Failing that I guess you're looking at new plates ......

HTH

5. Thanks fellas. It's on 05 999s with about 9.5k on the clock. Still on the original plates but in an MPL Slipper.

6. You'd know if it was leaking fluid as it would be destroying any paint anywhere near it. Im guessing the fluid in the res is jet black, so my money is replacing the fluid first. Whilst it up on the bench, pop the clutch cover off and have a look at the plates. You could always clean it out with some pressurised air to clear any remaining dust away. Saying that Dom, I cant remember if you have an open or closed clover :smile:

7. The fluid looks pretty normal to me Matt - it was serviced in the spring and should be fairly fresh still. I was running an open cover but put the OEM one back on to make sure I passed the noise test at Donington recently. I'll whip it off and check the plates. How would worn plates result in the clutch re-engaging though?

I figured that if the clearance was marginal and they are effectively slipping against each other slightly when the lever is pulled in then the heat generated might be enough to expand the plates and close the gap further, BUT I noticed the same issue when just pushing the bike around with it in gear and clutch pulled in: after 15-20 secs the plates come together again. So it can't be heat - the pushrod must be moving back slowly...?

cheers,
    Dom

8. hmmmm, really not sure then. I'd certainly be interested in what the problem is :smile:

• Like Like x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information