1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coolant? Leak from exhaust manifold

Discussion in 'Multistrada' started by Reformedrebel, Jul 13, 2013.

1. Hi, hope someone can help me, I just purchased a mivv decat system and set aside this afternoon for some tinkering time, I took the belly pan off to discover what smells like coolant leaking from the exhaust manifold! I'm no mechanic but I know that's not a good thing!

luckily the bike is under warranty and seastars have been great, offered to get the bike in on Monday morning and a loan bike if needed.

Really hoping someone can tell me it's something else as I'm supposed to be taking the bike on a trip to the lakes on Tuesday! Any ideas??

2. Best to get it checked out. It may be coolant from a leaking head gasket or a porous head casting but is more likely leakage from the hose from the water pump where it joins to the front cylinder. May just need the hose clamp tightening.

3. Here's hoping, not looking good though, no signs of leakage any higher up

image.jpg

Dont know why the photo is sideways either!

image.jpg

#3 Reformedrebel, Jul 13, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2013
  4. Without wishing to be a doomsayer. The multis had a recall to change the coolant due to the old stuff causing corrosion and damaging the head sealant, lets hope yours is a simple case of something needing tightening.

5. Those are the symptoms mine had - have the exhaust bolts gone really rusty? New heads all round is my guess?

6. Yeah it's a bit of a mess, how long did you have to wait for the job to be done? Glad it happened this year whilst under warranty!

7. Ah well, mine was off the road for 6 months almost exactly.

However, back in January, they didn't have the parts and 4.5 months went by just waiting. I believe the supply problem has gone, but I wouldn't be surprised if once diagnosed, it was a 3-4 week turnaround?

8. Thats not too bad then, and they are lending me a bike so can't complain I don't suppose, still in love with the bike, but a bit miffed about having to wait to fit my new mivv/termi combo

#8 Reformedrebel, Jul 13, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2013
  9. Sounds similar to my experience. It was a leak at the head gasket due to the exuberant amount of threadlock Ducati insist on using. Some from the head bolts had oozed out meaning that the head gasket would not seat properly. Nicely sorted by Moto Rapido.
    Nick

10. I'm pretty sure the only source of the leak is the exhaust manifold itself, there is no sign of damp anywhere else that I can see, and if the coolant is so corrosive that it eats away at the water channels, surely after 12000 miles the damage would already be done, why on earth didn't ducati change my coolant already?? (It's still the bluey colour, not the pink that I understand replaced it) in this case, I'm kind of hoping for new heads to be fitted as its something less to worry about for the next few years

11. The good news (in my case) is that the motor runs better than ever now and is nice and smooth even at sub 3k rpm, although there was a further ECU upgrade done at the same time? My coolant wasn't changed until 15k miles and the heads swapped out at 15.25k miles - now on 17k and fingers crossed, all is well?

12. It's official now, heads are shot, Seastar have been great so far, bent over backwards to get me a gtr1400 so I can still make the most of my holiday, I actually quite like it, plenty powerful enough when you wind it on, but slow to pick up giving a nice relaxing feel after the frenetic multistrada, still will be glad to get my bike back, the wait begins!

13. Sorry to hear that. At least they sorted you out.

14. Likewise, sorry my doomsaying was right.

15. There are some positives to be had, the rebuild means they can stamp for the belt service as they will be replaced, and as the valves are replaced they will be adjusted too, been quoted 2 weeks, dependant on parts, also the repair bill was just over £3000 so Glad it happened under warranty, and Seastar have been great, I got a lift home from the owner Vince and chatting with him has convinced me I'm in safe hands, I did a couple of hundred miles on the GTR today, lovely motor, but the rear pipe is hideous but makes a pleasant understated turbine sound. But over the last few miles I was very uncomfortable, major but ache but cured this by perching on the rear seat, worse still the tank hit reserve at about 120 miles! I found this very ironic having jut come from a VFR1200 that was panned for having a similar range!

16. Did they say they were replacing all the valves and gear etc? Mine were all re-used and ground (?) to the new head seats. I had new belts fitted 250 miles before the strip down, so they were ok.

17. No they are reusing all the valve gear etc, just shimming and refitting

18. Bad news for me. My MTS1200 apparently needs a new pair of cylinder heads because of the problem of cracking, and coolant getting into the exhaust ports.

This will be done under the 3rd year extended warranty (which turns out to have been a good bargain after all). A few minor issues can be dealt with at the same time. This is expected to take 6 weeks, which I am guessing will mean more like 8 weeks.

I think Metropolis really ought to let me have a courtesy bike on loan for the duration, and I am arguing about this with them at the moment. Just at the moment I don't have a bike in running order - pending completing a bit of work on Pantah No 1 - for the first time in years.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information