1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coolant Loss

Discussion in 'Multistrada' started by Multi rider, Aug 13, 2012.

1. i keep seeing miniscule amounts of coolant between the two cylinders.
    :eek:

http://lvkr.ru/nJ1HgY.jpg

I realise its not normal, but at the same time its not enough to have to top up the water/coolant reservior! In other words my fluid level is stable.

Should I be concerned?

Where could this coolant be coming from? The hoses appear dry?

#1 Multi rider, Aug 13, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2012
  2. It is possible the hose clips were not fully tightened at the factory, which is a known problem apparently. Suggest check them carefully.

3. Hi Pete, thanks for the advice! I have now gone and checked each hose clamp and they were all tight. I gave each one another 1/4 to 1/2 turn just to be sure!

I also checked to see if there were any signs of leaks etc, but found nothing untoward....

Any ideas where else it could be coming from? I hope its not the head gasket?

4. Have you checked about the known problem with the porous heads;

Are you sure that this is not;

What miles do you have;

5. Well it must be coming from somewhere. Can only be the hoses, the tubes which connect the hoses to the metal, a barrel base gasket, a head gasket, or the radiator. There isn't anything else it could be, surely.

Suggest remove the fairing sides, clean everything very carefully, get a bright light shining on the engine, then start the engine and allow it to warm up while maintaining a close watch. With luck and a sharp eye, you may be able to see where the liquid is coming out.

6. Have about 8200 miles on the clock, as I said before I dont notice fluid loss by deminishing levels in the reservior, its only this little drip as per the picture.

I will monitor it now subsequent to tightening the hoses.

7. Sorry I haven't saw this picture.
    I don't know how, but i saw one with a polished header...

As you said monitor the hoses,:upyeah: but also check the tightening of the bolts
    in the left side of the bike (water pump, alternator engine cover etc.)

8. Yes, I would be concerned. Is the bike out of warranty? If I could not find the source I would have my Ducati tech have a look, he may have come across it before. Wish I could be more help, sorry.
    Chris.

9. It could be something simple & easy to fix Multi rider but does need sorting asap as will only get worse.

Can you not trace the anti-freeze back to it's original source? Try cleaning all of it off & them run the bike right up to temperature at a stand still, you might actually see where it is dripping from.

I'm quite mechanically minded & have had all the panels/tank off mine a couple of times, I don't live that far from you (Reading) so if I can help in any way give me a shout.

10. Yeah as anthill says run it up to temp and see if you can see anything, sometimes a slight leak might only show as the engine cools back down and the built up pressure finds its way out of the cooling bike.

If it doesn't show, you may have to try using a coolant pressure tester...?

11. Clean it all off let it dry then dust some talc over the area run the bike, maybe ride and then let it cool the talc will show where the leak is

12. If it was my machine and under warranty I would hand it back to the dealer to trace the leak and fix it. If it was out of warranty I would clean the engine and completely dry off even using a hair dryer, sprinkle a little talcum powder over all the suspect areas, run the bike up to temp and check the area with a powerful lamp and any leak should leave a trail through the powder.

13. Yes I like the idea with the talcum powder! Will try that next! Bike is still under warranty, just, so may just ask the dealer to work on it whilst I go on hols for two weeks! And change the clocks too! :upyeah:

Thanks folks....Anthill....we must meet up sometime!

Do Not Sell My Personal Information