1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dirty Diesels.

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by finm, Nov 22, 2014.

1. Surely there must be accurate figures on exactly how many people die from air pollution.
    Is this figure a true representation on toxins released from cars?
    Or do we take into account HGV vehicles/ buses/ trains/ shipping?
    Because as always the easiest targets to hit and extract money from is the motorists.

2. thought it was bikers?:smile:
    yip they is minging. they're is a memo going round calmac ferry headquarters stating the need to reduce fumes in engine rooms due to the high risk of contracting cancer. from diesel particulates.

3. Shipping and aviation are excluded from EU pollution regulations,but this is the truck and bus improvement since 1992...
    EU Emission Standards for HD Diesel Engines, g/kWh (smoke in m−1)

Tier Date Test cycle CO HC NOx PM Smoke

Euro I 1992, < 85 kW 4.5 1.1 8.0 0.612
    1992, > 85 kW 4.5 1.1 8.0 0.36
    Euro II October 1996 4.0 1.1 7.0 0.25
    October 1998 4.0 1.1 7.0 0.15
    Euro III October 1999 EE 1.0 0.25 2.0 0.02 0.15
    Euro IV October 2005 1.5 0.46 3.5 0.02 0.5
    Euro V October 2008 1.5 0.46 2.0 0.02 0.5
    Euro VI 31 Dec 2013[15] 1.5 0.13 0.4 0.01
    * for engines of less than 0.75 dm³ swept volume per cylinder and a rated power speed of more than 3,000 per minute. EEV is "Enhanced environmentally friendly vehicle".

4. engine rooms aint exempt i have seen the memo, think i should invest in some sort of extraction equipment. every second car in my place is a diesel these days. minging.

5. I'd imagine engine rooms come under other regulations to do with health and safety in the workplace-the EU report I quoted above included a statement specifically excluding shipping and aviation,might have been out of date though.
    according to that report,PM's,(I think thats the bit which is the lung irritant),went down until Euro 5,but is going up again for Euro 6 in order to try to reduce visible smoke.
    It's a constant trade off between one pollutant and another,and late Euro engines are nowhere near as economical as Euro 1 and 2....like trying to square a circle....

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Just another government scare story so that they can tax diesels more. If the burning of diesel was such a problem then why are they ignoring jet fuel? It is almost the same stuff as diesel, but diesel transports goods around. At RAF Marham, where I used to work, a Tornado aircraft takes off with two people on board, flies around the UK for an hour, lands back at Marham (so they did not use it as a form of transport to get somewhere) and has another few tons of fuel uploaded. The same amount of fuel could have taken an aircraft full of passengers on holiday and done something useful.

7. i remember as an apprentice, in the work shop. first thing start all the trucks get the air pressure up on the brakes, place was stinking. not many old mechanics kicking about.

8. Must be something in the air up there then buddy,almost all the truck and bus fitters I've ever known are still alive and kicking.
    Which surprises me to be honest...all that asbestos in brakes shoes/ paint spraying without a mask of any kind/filler dust everywhere.... not forgetting the ever present burning of Old Holborn

9. dont know if there's summit in the air or general wake up call when it comes to being a mechanic. i think most are out by the time there in their fifty's. dirty rotten thankless job at times.
    think asbestos in brakes was dropped about 20-30 years ago. but looking at the reek that comes out of a diesel when you rev it hard, those particulates cant be good for you, i will be picking half of Scotland's coal reserves oot my nose this evening.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information