1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Drink Driving Limit Halfed In Scotland.

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by finm, Oct 24, 2014.

1. wont bother me as i dont drink unless to get pushed. one glass will put you over the limit
    it worries me for the day after tho.
    dont know about you guys but after a pint, unless i keep going all i want to do is sleep, so one pint for me anyhow must be a bit dodgy.

2. From what to what?
    A few years ago now it was brought down in Switzerland from 0.08 to 0.05

3. I'm 100% in favour of this. It should be done over all UK.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 2
  4. 80 down to 50.

5. I can dive just as well after 10 pints.................oh, sorry, wrong thread :Happy:

6. Pints? Or Bottles of Whiskey?

What is it here (Yorkshire Land)?

7. will yorkshire dudes spend money on drink?

8. Oh yes, Drink and Boobies - I draw the line there___________

• Like Like x 2
  9. hang on, wasn't copper wire invented by a scotsman and a yorkshireman fighting over a penny?

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Useful Useful x 1
  10. Yet more political correctness based upon if a little bit of something is a good thing, and in the case of drink driving limits it is, then more of it is better.

I see nothing wrong with where the limits were, and presumably still are in England.

It is similar to these 50 mph speed limits where they were 60 mph previously.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. No it's not John... If you're driving at 60 you can slow down to 50. If you're driving pissed you can't suddenly sober up...
    I agree that the drop in speed limits is a cynical ploy in a further attempt to brainwash people into believing that speed is the root cause of all accidents, which it clearly isn't, which in turn allows the use of more "safety cameras" that generate extra funds for the tax-man... But drinking and driving does cause accidents - and, in this day and age, there is no excuse for doing it.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  12. I don't think that being within the existing alcohol limit is equivalent to "driving pissed", which of course is unacceptable.

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. i often feel pissed after a pint. but i don't really drink that often, just weekends in winter.

14. Isn't it the case that 20% of road accidents have alcohol as a contributing factor. I wonder what the distribution of blood alcohol levels in that group actually is ?

I do not condone drink driving, but then neither do I advocate a zero alcohol policy, which halving current limits is approaching.

Whilst I may drive following a single drink, I never mix alcohol and riding.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Exactly. And as far as I can see, most of the statistics used to justify pushing limits down are of the "x% of serious accidents involved someone OVER the limit". There are far too many cases where people are driving when completely plastered - but how many of them are actually caught?

The truth is that in the UK, enforcement of the existing limits is very weak; as far as I know, it remains the case that the police are not allowed to carry out truly random testing (e.g. road block and everyone has to be checked, as is possible in some countries). And of course, annoyingly for the police, you cannot simply park a gadget in a layby and detect all of the drivers who have excess blood alcohol (or, indeed, the wide range of other intoxicants which can be a problem, including medicines).

Of course reducing the limit will result in many law-abiding people reducing their personal limit even further when driving (1/2 a pint?), but it will surely have absolutely no effect on those who are currently happy to drink 4 pints and drive home.

• Agree Agree x 4
  16. Drinking one pint can increase your reaction time to as much as double - that is, effectively, the same as driving at 60 in a 30 limit...

• Disagree Disagree x 2
  17. No its not, its nothimg like driving 60 in a 30! And one person can be legless after 1 beer, others can be fine after many. His name excapes me, but that Weirbrneck?? Snooker player would sink pint after pint, as darts players used to, and yet able to focus and play just as well at the end as the start

Hope none of you drive after night nurse or even day nurse now

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  18. thing is, very veeeery few people are pissed after one pint so using that sort of reasoning for lowering the level is a bit skueed.. the current levels are perfectly adequate , as some one said, that reduction will not affect the real culprets who will q happily drive home after 4 pints etc

• Agree Agree x 2
  19. PS,, wasn't Alex Salmond great on Question Time last night :)

Do Not Sell My Personal Information