1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ducati 350 Single Bevel Cafe Project

Discussion in 'Vintage' started by J0n3s, Apr 9, 2014.

1. I've been after a bevel Duc for eons, and while I desirously crave the twins they're expensive and cumbersome for what I want, which is a little town and country blatter that keeps me out of trouble. After all, I have a pani for serious stuff

After stalking the usual sites I've picked up this little Ducati 350 Bevel from an eBay auction (oh god). She's originally from the US of A, part of a collection sold off after the owner passed on.

It's been pulled around and needs love plus a fresh start. I'm planning fixing just the must do's and cosmetic spruce up for summer (here's hoping) then something more serious over winter (12v conversation, leccy ignition, full lights, stoving the frame, vapour cleaning the engine etc).

There's a few nice period bits on her, Ceriani GP forks, Marzocchi shocks and yokes, Borrani rims, GT 750 front double twin shoe drum, stainless spokes, 32mm Delorto. The fuel tank needs replacing, brakes, lights and instruments also need installing or setting up.

It's a bit of a change to my Pani.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 9
  2. yip deffo a change to the panni. nice one :upyeah:

• Like Like x 1
  3. That is lovely, good luck with the restore :upyeah:

4. The engine alone is probably worth what it went for. I had a watch on that myself but wasn't brave enough.

Good luck, cant wait to see and hear this.

• Like Like x 1
  5. good basis for a cafe racer mate the cerianis do it for me,have a look on disco volante web site there is some nice parts on there.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Looking forward to this, I also had an eye on it but too many toys in the garage at the moment. Some nice parts there already, I am especially liking the front drum :upyeah:

• Like Like x 1
  7. A plan is forming, sloooowly.

I've registered with the DOCGB and asked to used their lovely machine dating service to start the process of road registering the bike.

I didn't know what to do about the electrics and ignition. The standard 6v alternator and points are fitted. I've no experience with 6v and had to much agony with points on my RD400 back in the 80's to go back to using them. I favoured pulling off all the old electrics and replacing with 12v and electronic ignition.

After reading up and speaking to Lacey Ducati I'm ordering from them an Electrex 12v alternator as it seems the only/best option out there. Electrex used to sell an ignition system but by all accounts it wasn't great and they no longer sell them. The favoured electronic ignition solution seems to be the Sachse system which is from Germany, which I ordered and with typical efficiency arrived the next day.

#9 J0n3s, Apr 30, 2014
    Last edited: May 2, 2014
  8. The fibreglass fuel tank has seen better days and there's a black tar like substance in the petcocks so I'm replacing it. After looking new fibreglass fuel tanks, especially those with clear windows, I've decided on a Vic Camp style polished alloy tank from Tab Classics. It should suit the bike nicely.

9. The problem with fibreglass fuel tanks is the resin gets attacked by ethanol in the fuel. Perhaps that's what the black gum is. They can be lined with various products, but to be honest none of them seem to be very long-lived.

The whole attitude of the bike looks spot on. I like it a lot:upyeah:

• Like Like x 1
  10. I thought of treating it, but it's shot in reality.

11. Don't throw it away...it might fit my Guzzi...

12. Let me know if you want it. Happy to meet up in C.London and hand it over, or post @ cost.

13. You're on! I'm usually in London 2 or 3 days a week, I'll let you know. No point promising to contact you tonight, I'm going down the pub shortly and will be talking gibberish thereafter...

• Like Like x 1
  14. Cool. I'm around Clerkenwell or Soho most days. Next week from Wed PM to Fri AM I've some clients over from Canada, but that's it.

15. Your project looks good,
    I wouldn't mind doing an older Ducati as my next project. Keep the photos coming.

16. While waiting for DOCGB to come back with dating certificates, and the importer with the NOVA, Royal Mail have been busily delivering goodies :)

Had to have a bevel window, superficial but IMPORTANT :) Some are very chunky with bezels, bolts and other gumpf. The nicest and cleanest (IMO) is the original Dr Desmo. Sadly he passed away, however they're still made by someone he passed the business on to. www.drdesmo.com

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  17. Thanks for the tips Steve. Looks like the DrD design is very similar to Reno Leoni's.

I found the electronic ignition separately to speaking with Nigel. When I mentioned the make to him he didn't stock them (he does now). It's a Sahcse unit and users speak highly of the unit on other forums.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information