1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1098 First Ducati!

Discussion in '848 / 1098 / 1198' started by ColoradoDesmo, Aug 28, 2014.

1. Hey everyone! This is my first post on this forum, so hey there! I don't want to start a big debate right off the rip, so I'll tell you a little about myself first ...

Im 23, born and raised on bikes, from the east coast (US). Currently reside in Colorado. I ride somewhat often, mostly canyon and around town. I don't commute on my bikes and I love to look at them, and keep them in pristine condition. I ride hard, but don't beat the bikes up. I avoid harsh mechanical stress when I can now that I ride a piece of art.

My prior affairs include;

Dirt: Honda Crf 50
    Honda Crf 230
    Honda Crf 450R x2 (04,06)
    Honda Trx 450R
    Suzuki Rm250
    Suzuki Rmz 450R
    Suzuki Ltr 450R Quadracer x2 (07,07... yeah they're that great)

Street: Yamaha FZR 600 old
    Kawi Ninja ZX5R (who cares)
    Suzuki SV650s 04
    Honda CBR 954rr 02 (RIP)
    Kawi Ninja ZX6r 07
    Kawi Niinja ZX14R

Current Broad as of last month 2008 Duke 1098

https://fbcdn-sphoto...0a2223f17f7dae6

https://fbcdn-sphoto...215101831_n.jpg

Upon starting the engine after it was delivered to my house, I realized I would never be able to go back to a rice burner. There is something about the complete sensory overload one experiences on one of these machines, not that I need to tell any of you... I love it.

With that said, it was no question a impulse buy, (I was at the dealership to service my zx14r, and didn't even want to see it after I saw the 1098 next to the managers desk) The Duke came home and it was amazing. I then showed my buddy with a gixx 600 and he proceeded to the actual Duacti dealership in town, not the hybrid dealership where mine came from, and traded toward a '11 848 evo in flat black. I then laid eyes upon the Panagale, what a beaut. My 1098 has 67xx miles, and will need the 7500k service (750$?) next season. They have a leftover 1199 for 15k and they'll give me 8900 on the 1098. Im into it around 10k. I love it and if possible ill buy the 1199 and keep both, hell maybe a diavel as well.....when in rome right

Assuming I HAVE to choose one, what do you guys think I should do???

Now I understand the basic differences, and I am considering trading toward the panagale. A few questions..

Cam chain vs belts (authenticity vs longevity?)
    Dry vs Wet clutch (authenticity / cool factor vs longevity / consistency?)
    Overall engine reliability?
    Maint. cost/ease (Ill do my own basic maint, just never was comfortable with valves and belts but ill give it a shot if you guys amp me up)

Thanks!
    Lasco

• Like Like x 2
  2. Welcome Dave :)

3. Welcome Dave, I have purchased a 1098 also, love it, don't really like the pinagale in the flesh but the guy in the shop said to me "fair enough, but wait till you ride one" I dare not! loving the 1098 at the moment but the weather in the UK is limiting its use, enjoy being a Ducati rider, you will either love it or hate it. Rice rockets have no soul!!! ;-)

• Like Like x 1
  4. Thanks guys, I love the Panagale in the flesh, though I don't think its very ducati-esque when looking at their trademark *details*. But technology brings change I suppose... How many miles on yours Taffr, and how long have you had her. BTW, who the hells Dave?? My names Lasco :Happy:

5. Of course it is Dave :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  6. Sorry Lasco, don't know where Dave came from, lol, :) only had here 2 weeks, she has only done 5500 miles, chopped in my hypermotard for it, ridden sports bikes for 20+ years so thought I'd have a change but it didn't work out! started my Ducati life with a 996 back in 1998, moved on to the 999's had three of them, then went back to the rice rockets for a short time, tried the hyper for two years but just could not make it do what I wanted it too so came back to the superbike, I also have a 916 strada from 1994 don't ride that much just keep looking for nice original parts for it, hope to get it back out next year, got it worked on at Louigi Moto in 2012 and only done 100 miles on it due to work commitments, that has 13500 miles on it, hope to get them both together for a pic soon:upyeah:

• Like Like x 1
  7. Howdy and welcome to the mad house
    Everyone is called Dave it's easier that way for ET bless him :)

• Like Like x 2
  8. Says Davebird ;)

• Like Like x 1

9. Oooooo I like that because I felt left out now I'm one of the gang :D

• Like Like x 1
  10. :Cigar: Hakuna Matata :Cigar:

• Like Like x 1
  11. hi & welcome

must admit, they do take some getting used to, riding them. but by that time it's too late. you're already hooked on the looks and feel of the bike.
    this is my first ducati as well. only had her about 6 months and not planning on changing any time soon.

• Like Like x 2
  12. That pearl white suggests a 848 evo? I was at home after one lap around the block... quickly acclimated i suppose ;)

What all does the 7500 mile service entail? And whats the going cost, Im in Hawaii for the month, just wondering what to expect when I get home :Woot:

13. no, mate. a 848 non evo, 2010.
    i think the 7,500 mile service includes a full service & belts. haven't got a clue about costs as i haven't been there yet but do intend to do most of my own servicing.

ian

14. How intensive are the belts / valves on theses beasts?

15. plenty of videos on youtube. :upyeah:

• Like Like x 1
  16. Welcome, is yours adorned with gold trinkets?

17. Is a pigs pussy pork?

18. fin'll know

• Funny Funny x 1
  19. Well, anyways. Pancakes, oil changes, ducati, one thing led to another...

I made the plunge :pompus:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  20. Hi Dave,

Welcome to the marvellous world of Ducati.

That's you on the left. :upyeah:

hqdefault.jpg

Do Not Sell My Personal Information