1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Free Diagnostic Software

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by chrisw, Sep 15, 2013.

1. JP has relaunched his free IAW5* JPDiag

A licence is NOT required if your bike uses the IAW59M ECU (usually applies to 2001-2004 bikes).

JP has generously set all this up free of charge. Please help keep things free and remember to donate.

If you need help and advice then PM me.

#1 chrisw, Sep 15, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2013
    • Like Like x 2
  2. Required
    1. USB VagCom 409.1 KKL lead (the software will work with ELM327 and Galletto but KKL is preferred)
    2. Fiat Adaptor
    3. Cable Drivers
    4. Software

For the USB cable I recommend FTDI driver based ones. However, Winchiphead driver based ones will work after modification (PM me for details). The two leads can be distinguished by plugging in to the USB port. FTDI will not illuminate its LED, Winchiphead will illuminate its LED.
    The two fly lead Fiat Adaptor is preferred but the single (red) fly lead version will work. When you get your adaptor continuity test the fly lead. There have been instances of the wrong colours being put on the crocodile clips. The red fly lead must terminate at pin 16 on the OBD female plug. The black fly lead must terminate at either pin 4, pin 5 or both.
    Cable drivers can be found here
    FTDI (http://www.ftdichip.com/Drivers/CDM/CDM20830_Setup.exe)
    Winchiphead (CH341SER.EXE)
    Once the USB cable has been installed on your PC, identify the Com Port number for it in ‘Device Manager’ under Ports. A com port number of 1 to 9 is recommended. Use advanced settings to change the com port number if not.
    Software
    Download here
    JPDiag
    Bikes made between 2001 and 2004 are likely to have an IAW59M ECU. The correct setting for this ECU is ‘Slow Init’. This ECU does not require a licence for the diagnostic software to fully function.
    For bikes with the IAW5AM ECU use ‘Fast Init’ and a licence is required to fully function. Use the blue copy button in the software and then the request page on the website.

If you don’t have the cables then these eBay sellers are very reliable
    USB KKL ECU DIAGNOSTIC CABLE 409.1 OBD2 II LEAD FOR VW AUDI SEAT SKODA 232BL /M | eBay
    [FONT=&amp]16PIN OBD2 TO 3PIN OBD1 DIAGNOSTIC ADAPTOR CABLE F FIAT | eBay[/FONT]

#2 chrisw, Sep 15, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2013
  3. Link doesn't work :)

4. Chris, is there anything different in the new software other than the free usage?

5. It's the same as the previous version with no manufacturer affiliation. This is to reflect that it works with a number of manufacturers who all use the IAW* family of ECU's produced after 2001.

6. Chris other than having the hassle of getting to my ECU is there another way of confirming (maybe from the dash ) which model ECU it is.
    This may seem a silly question as model make i.e. 999 and year , or say models handbook , but I have had my ECU replaced (at Luigi Moto) as I'd fried mine , my replacement has US on the start up , obviously a yank job, but will it have to be the same code ECU or another possibility.

7. Only ways are to actually look at the labelling on the ECU or connect to diagnostic - Sorry

Rule of thumb is 2001 - 2004 IAW59M. post 2004 IAW5AM, but an IAW5AM will work on an earlier bike. ECU changes like yours also add to the complication.

The US can be changed from the dash. Assuming a 749/999

749 999 dash English.jpg

749 dash.jpg

749 999 dash English.jpg

#8 chrisw, Sep 15, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2013
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Chris, on all software, is the trim set to 22 as default?

9. Cheers Chris, was just asking as I just need the bike running to a level which isn't too rich/lean before it goes into the shop.

10. I normally set them to 4%

11. Yes, I look for 4 at the exhaust and 4.5 at the OEM take off

12. Hi Chris, I've found that 3.5-4.00 works fine on stock silencers and 4.00-4.5 for less restrictive, all taken at OEM points.

13. There is no button dump
    I do not know if this means anything

14. Hi Guys, I'm after a bit of help with the physical connection to the loom.

I've bought the cables as per post #2, but the fiat adaptor seems to have the same connector as the bikes loom (749 2003).

Has anyone else had this issue and is there an adaptor so I can connect. (Photo attached).

Thanks, Matt

image.jpg

image.jpg

#17 Mipayne, Sep 21, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2013
  15. Wrong connector

Look on the battery box, left side approx half way up

There is a 3 way connector held with a rubber strap with a cover over the connections

[​IMG]

16. Thank you! Didn't even notice that little scamp hiding there.

17. I don't want to sound like a complete idiot, but here it goes!

I've installed the driver "CDM20830.exe" and connected to the bike via the cables above. All seems fine. Did the cable test and get pings back 15/16ms and TEST 2 Ok. But when I connect on the main screen it just sits there saying "connecting", but never connects.

I'm sure I read someone else having the same problem, but cannot find the solution for the life of me.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information