1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gear Leaver Sticking.

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by idrinkbeer, Apr 24, 2015.

1. anyone know why the gear lever on a 1000ds engine when changing down when warm the gear lever sticks and takes a while to return,its a bit bothersome when you want to stomp down several gears?
    its a sport classic 1000s with clutch converted to dry .

2. could be internal/return spring broken (and will try a search for you tomorrow if you don't - covered several times on this forum) but - has the bike been dropped lightly recently? as first thought that comes to mind from how you describe problem is that lever itself is lightly catching on crankcase etc from being bent slightly. I can't remember exact layout of gearchange on your bike but a stiff rod end can also give similar symptoms.

3. As per what Chris says but I only have issues with a stiff rod end in the mornings ;)

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. hasn't been dropped ,if spring broken surely the gear lever wouldn return at all? I had to remove the dp slave as it leaked and reverted back to the standard clutch slave but cant see how this would cause my prob.
    will search return spring ahyhows....thanks for taking time to help.

5. dropped the oil,pulled left cover and everything looks good.......................but the rear set seems to be nipping up,doh. so now rebuilding.this is how you learn,id love aspare engine to pull apart and rebuild. now I need three wheelbarrows full of money.

6. chris and mr r many thanks for the help its greatly appreciated .

Do Not Sell My Personal Information