1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

996 Getting At The Fuel Injectors

Discussion in '748 / 916 / 996 / 998' started by Rascal91, Apr 19, 2014.

1. Hi again, just got one of those UM222, well the equivalent off Gotham Cycles, anyway after some initial confusion I've now realized I have to physically disconnect 2 injectors to get it to work.
    Before I go stripping off fairings and tanks unnecessarily, what's the easiest way to access them? Haynes doesn't really say where they are, I'm wondering if I could manage with just the side panels off?
    Also I'm assuming you just unplug 2 and don't remove them completely?

Cheers

2. The UM222 is a chip isn't it ? The injectors can be accessed by removing the tank and the air box. Have you got a 996 with twin injectors and want to disconnect two ?
    Steve

This is what you are looking for.

DUCATI TWIN INJECTOR THROTTLE BODIES 996 | eBay

#2 Birdie, Apr 19, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2014
  3. As above and you will need to remove the velocity stacks as well to get the airbox out.

4. That's exactly what I want to do.
    I actually assumed I wouldn't have to touch them and the chip just switched them off, but obviously that's not the case..

Cheers lads :)

5. Right, I've now disconnected the two outer injectors, put it all back together, new single injector chip in, aaand something's still not right.
    It doesn't want to start. The fuel pump kicks in when you turn the key, and you can sometimes get it going by holding the throttle (misfires other times), but it won't idle on its own and the revs are very erratic..

Is there another step to this or shall i cut my losses and go back to standard?

#5 Rascal91, Apr 19, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2014
  6. I do not have any knowledge of twin injector set-ups but do you have to disconnect a specific injector? or will either one do.

Just a thought.

7. As far as I'm aware it's the 2 outer ones so I'm pretty sure I've got that part correct.

I'm now reading about about throttle bodies needing to be balanced etc..
    Here's me thinking this new chip would be plug and play. Might be time to give up..

8. No EPROM is plug n play tbh. Best to get it set up properly to get the best out of it. On the non start, did the new EPROM go in the right way? There's a very small indentation on one end of the EPROM to denote which end is which.

9. Ah I see. Damn..
    And yeah it's definitely in the right way. I've had a word with Gotham cycles and they say TPS too. Oh well, if it ain't broke..

Do Not Sell My Personal Information