1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is the MTS 1200 a good high mileage tool ??

Discussion in 'Multistrada' started by Dodgy Dave, Mar 29, 2012.

1. Hi Guys n Gals , do any of you do over 10,000 miles a year on your Multi 1200's ?? I've had my BMW R1200GS for 50k miles in the last four years. I've replaced the rear bevel bearings once (£240) , otherwise no bother at all. Cracking bike - absolutly love it, but really do fancy a MTS 1200. These will go through chains and sprockets at a fair rate I should think - any comments re avearge milages for these ? Alsio how does the finish keep up. I do like to keep my:cool: bikes clean, but there are times when it does not see the WD40/oily rag combo for a week or so, mainly in winter of course_ comments please ??

2. I do about 300-350 miles a week on mine commuting, plus social mileage on top. No idea on C&S mileage, not had to change them yet.

Don't ride through the depths of winter anymore (first time since I passed my test 12 years ago) but probably don't clean mine as often as I should - only seems to be the fasteners that are suffering currently.

3. Mines done just under 8K in the last year, chain/sprockets are fine but it is only 8K I don't use a Scottoiler etc but I do keep on top of maintenance. I did a 3000 mile trip over 2 weeks through Europe last year two up with luggage without any issues (although I did develop a slight misting oil leak 500 miles from home) which was something or nothing, I just let the dealer sort it out.

As ever you'll find plenty of horror stories about them, same as BM's with the duff key sensor rings, batteries etc etc, so look beyond all that mine hasn't failed to start and is a cracking bike come rain or shine.

I'm sure they'll be people on here with higher mileage bikes so maybe they'll be able to tell you more.

4. I think 'Longwayhome' of this parish might have some insight on this one.....

Multistrada 1200 Continental Power Touring - 5 Days, 1956 Miles
    "I am off to eastern Germany/Poland/Czech Republic in about 30 minutes (850 miles in one go through the night by Multistrada 1200....nothing else will do it"

....I'm sure he'll be along in a minute ;-)

• Like Like x 1
  5. Kilometers done know within a year and a month 13.000km. No problems. Long tours from Hamburg to Sardegna and back (around 4.000km in total) - no problem. The bike is incredible.

6. I spend all of my holiday time touring Europe and have enjoyed my 900 Diversion, 1000 V-Strom and BMW R1200GSA but none of these come close to the 1200 Multistrada for the ability to eat miles, carry loads and still give you a cracking ride down twisty mountain roads scraping toes-sliders with a huge grin on your face and your wife and luggage on the back. The reserves of power available at any time make for relaxed riding while the seating and riding position provide a level of comfort for both my wife and I that we no longer stop for leg-stretching and the "are-we-there-yet" has been swapped for "are-you-stopping-for-fuel-again already?" and that is with my normal 170 mile legs on long runs.

I've still got four bikes ready to ride in my garage but last year I covered 14,210 miles on my Multistrada and less than 1000 on the other three combined. I'm selling two of the others this year, the Multi has proved it can do it all.

Most of my chain wear came while I was using (or mis-using) a Scottoiler. The wear rate once I returned to Muc-Off dry PTFE lube dropped right off. I reckon I'll do next month's tour on the original chain and swap it and the sprockets when I get back so that will be 17,500 miles on the set.

The Pirelli Skorpions were replaced after 7500 miles although they had some life left, just not enough for the trip I was about to set off on. The Pilot Road 3's I'm wearing now are incredible tyres and have covered 7000 miles with no sign of squaring though they haven't seen much motorway yet.

The finish is holding up well. I do clean my bike regularly but it gets used in winter and in all weather, especially when away on long tours. Some fasteners are losing their shine and my boot has marked the clutch cover slightly but that's about it.

I've ridden al my life and this bike has changed my idea of what a bike can be. It's not perfect but it's darned close.

• Like Like x 5
  7. 11000 miles on my MTS Sport , I have had a few niggles but nothing major and the engine aint missed a beat , I had a test ride on a KTM SMT today ..great bike the brakes are shit hot but its not in the same class as the Multi,, this is one great machine.

• Like Like x 1
  8. 14000 miles so far. Plenty of early model warranty problems now all fixed by either me or Ducati. Miles now clicking up without much fuss. Only adjusted the chain 4 times including 3 track days - amazing! Looks like it will last 20,000 miles plus. No problems with finish though it is not used in 3 months of winter. Only non-warranty replacements are gearchange rubbers.

9. Is the MTS 1200 a good high mileage tool ?? - In a word YES!

1200s Touring now 21 months old and has 20,500 on the clock, never let me down and always makes me grin, best bike by far.
    Had the early niggles etc once they had been sorted the bke has been great, both "on track" and on single track roads (well there was some tarmac in places). Several trips to the continent and in the UK. will stay with sports bikes and with GS's, it does everything - so far on 3 ride outs it has been the GS's that broke down and the Multi keeps on going.

I rode a new GS the other day, great bike, comfortable, handled well, good brakes - but that boxer engine just has not got the Ducati punch. Very happy to get back on the Multi after a day on the GS.

10. some great reviews here i'm so nearlly ready to upgrade from my multi 1000,,,
    but is it worth the money that be 5 years on hp for me ?

11. Paul last year I was in the same predicament as you....what bike???

I considered and tested KTM 990, BMW gs1200, triumph tiger and the Duc. I think what swayed me was simply the weight power thing. The KTM was not comfy...my knees hit the sharpish edge of the tank...the Beemer vibrates too much and is heavy, the triumph was still the old bike ....

So bit the bullet....bought sport version second hand with touring accessories, centre stand, panniers and got dealer to fit heated grips (ok I am a poof I'll admit).

Had the bike 4 weeks (3 of which were holiday without the bike) when I got the dreaded DES error (rear shock ecu failure). West London dealer fixed it under warranty.

Since then no issues....a few niggles.... The roughness at low rpm.....fixed by loosing the cat box.....the earthing of the dash board bulbs...still need to go and get this seen to before the warranty expires...

Would I buy the multi again....fooor Shooore! I love this bike.....she has character....my tuppence worth:)

Must dash now...need to get to Goodwood this morning for the breakfast club. Yihaa :upyeah::biggrin:

12. Don't want to hijack the thread, but I really don't understand why everybody everywhere is excusing for heated grips...! I have the 1200S and bought heated grips 4 weeks ago and its my first bike with. These things are 1) great season extender(!) and 2) they are a safety feature - wear thin gripful sports gloves but have warm hands. Everybody who has not heated grips should excuse for being so <put a bad word of your choice here>! Wether you ride your Multi as a sports bike or touring bike or what ever. THIS is a must have feature for everybody who likes riding. But maybe since BMW producing the S1000RR with heated grips in series also the hardest racer is thinking...

13. Cheers Guys and Gals, I have seen my first one in the flesh at Cadwell, WOW _ it certainly is different _ and desirable !! My Darmah is about to go sailing on the Bay of E, and the GS will follow soon. There a couple of nice looking bikes on Autotrader at the mo !!

14. Looking at Autotrader, I wonder why there are so many low milegae bikes for sale _ between four and six thosand miles ?? Any ideas - is there something about them that folk dont like ( cant believe it !)

15. Talking to salesman at Ducati Leeds on Wednesday, he says most owners who are changing bikes arguing for same again, says it all really, can't wait for test ride next Saturday if were not under a foot of snow!!

16. Orish du hast naturlich recht!

It's just that there seems to be a belief that real tough men will grin and bear the cold like Cpt. Scott and Admunson in the Antarctic....I just wanted to show that I am not that tough....wish I had of had heated trousers this morning down to Goodwood....3deg and the cold started burning....:redface:

17. Going Cold on the idea, it has just dawned on me the the trusty R1200GS can be home serviced by just about any old idiot ( ie yours truly) with it's sticky out cylinders etc : the big MTS will take around 650 sovs per annum to pay some skilled Mech to keep Big Red on song ! Does anyone do their own - don't really fancy this option myself ???

• Like Like x 1
  18. Once the three year warranty expires I intend to do as much self service as I can, but in the short term the major expense is the 15000/2year service the minor services are relatively cheap?

19. That's a good read. Thanks for posting the link.

20. PAULFASTBIKES - If you fancy the 1200 but question the price, consider the standard model instead of the S. Its only drawback is the lack of electronic suspension adjustment but, once you've sorted it to your liking, how often are you going to change it? Or consider some of the secondhand 1200S models coming on the market. If there is still a substantial period of warranty remaining, you haven't got too many worries. Don't be put off by the often low mileage quoted. Apparently some bike owners (and many dealers) think that 2000 - 4000 miles a year is normal!

Do Not Sell My Personal Information