1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Kayaking

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Ballbagracer, Nov 23, 2014.

1. Anyone on here do any kayaking? Last time I did it was over 30 years ago but I have the opportunity to purchase one and just wondered what gear I need any training I might need/want? I live near the sea and the Norfolk broads and thought it might be a pleasant pass time [​IMG]

2. Good fun. Went with a mate in Scotland around the lochs a few years back. Camping, beer open fires. And pissing rain of course but good craic.
    Dunno exactly what you mean by 'kayaking' but we had the 'American' type. One rowing at the front port and the other at the back starboard. Loads of kit in the middle, including mountain bikes.

3. as in buying a kayak.......kayaking might not be a proper word ;)

4. Dunno, but there is sometimes some confusion between a kayak and a canoe. A canoe to me is one of those pointy things that you sit in with a single paddle and a water seal round your waist. And you see the odd barmy fucker going over waterfalls in them.

5. Better just hiring the stuff.

Remember watching ray mears building a birch bark canoe. Then again, he's a jungle Jim.

6. I bought a couple of sit-on-tops for fun with my kids and we ended-up getting quite into it. This is a good place to start for info British Canoe Union

7. I have one that is used regularly by me, Mrs Duke Sox and Louis our dog/ballast. Great fun and highly recommended. We went for a heavy duty inflatable one so easy storage & transport but still seems very sturdy in use. Not bothered with any training or safety gear as we tend to use local rivers so fairly benign and the 3 of us are all strong open water swimmers.

8. I thought, strictly speaking, a canoe is the open boat which you propel with a single bladed paddle from a kneeling position (Ray Mears birch bark canoe etc) and a kayak an Inuit craft where you sit in an enclosed cockpit with a seal-skin skirt around your waist and use a double ended paddle.

9. Could be. But what's the difference between a buffalo and a bison?

10. You can't make a chocolate sponge cake in a buffalo ....

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. About 45 minutes on gas mark 7.

Buffalo:
    [​IMG]

Bison:
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  12. Ha ha, correct answer!

13. Used to do this every year on holiday in France and loved it, then decided instead of a polypropylene/nylon kayak to buy and inflatable one. Not as good consequently selling my twice used inflatable sevylor

14. I have one of these

Rockpool Kayaks

and recommend

Sea Kayak Pesda Press

I use it in the Lakes and Scotland. Great pastime but potentially very dangerous, never underestimate the debilitating effect of cold water.

15. Agreed, I see Davina McCall's open water swim in Windemere didn't go too, err swimmingly. 5 deg C water temp is very cold. Brrrrr....

16. You are one of Santa little helpers and writing shit jokes to go in crackers, or you are ronnie barkers first script writer from the stone ages -either way I claim my prize.

• Like Like x 1
  17. I want 4 candles...... Bahhh ha ha ha ... Etc.

18. The word "kayak" means "ski" in Turkish.

Every day is a school day :)

19. down the beach.
    cuil bay 14 021.JPG

20. P6030135 copy.jpg

How about that for a campsite ?

21. 056 copy.jpg

Not one but two sea eagles !

• Like Like x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information