1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

More University Fees Reform?

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by bradders, Jul 28, 2014.

1. Seems it truly is becoming for the very rich or the very poor...middle England loses out again.

Too much debt not being paid back, salaries too low on graduation, so rather than address the key issues lets just force it on the educational establishments and in turn the students. Awesome.

BBC News - Student loans overhaul planned by ministers

• Like Like x 2
  2. I just can't get my head around, why in Scotland they don't have fees and England have,,, so who is paying for there students then,

I wonder if it will still be free if they vote to split.

3. its OK to be openly racist against the English. Even to the point of legislating for it.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. I saw a programme a few years ago on students now going to Belgium and Holland to get degrees as it was so much cheaper. Don't know if that's still the case.

5. it comes out of our own better managed budget.

6. It is worse than that, in Scotland university is free for anyone from anywhere except England.

7. just England?

8. Yeah, right....

9. Got one at uni already and another starting next month...neither get anything paid. My daughter's maintenance loan doesn't even cover the cost of her hall of residence room!
    Bank of Dad is the only option.
    It's pretty ridiculous really.

10. i think there is two much emphasis or pressure on kids to go on to higher education, there is certainly a shortage of kids getting in to my line of work.
    back to the Scotland thing the money weather you like it or not is dived out evenly we manage it accordingly. should our collages and university's be packed out with kids from other parts of the uk at the sacrifice of ours. it's this mentality that's driving us apart and eventually leading to full independence.

11. Yes

12. Everyone in England pays fees, including Scots, so Scotland only charges fees for those from England.

13. you sure? if that's the case does sound a bit dodgy why is this? does the dissolved governments of the rest off the uk pay for there kids to come here and Westminster wont?

14. Yep. Apparently it is 'fair'. You charge our kids so we will charge yours. That it is discriminatory and only applies to the English is beside the point.

15. If only they were 'dissolved' ;)

16. 30 years ago i was excepted for a bike engineering course in Bristol i couldn't go the local whatever wouldn't pay for it and nether would the authority down there. bummer.

17. wales and northern ireland have dissolved governments don't they? god i am out of touch!.

18. It used to be the case that the first 3 to 4 years of higher education was free, after that you were on your own. But then only 5% of school leavers went to 'university' whereas now it I'd closer to 50%.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Yep if I were Austrian I'd get grants and fees would be around £1500. Coz I am English, its 9k even if I have lived in Scotland for 40 years.

But this isnt about bashing the Scottish, its about more reforms which push further cost, as Ricky says, to bank of Mum and Dad.

My son starts this year, will be the first in my family to go to university, and the third in my wifes, so pretty big deal, and he cant loan enough money to pay for halls either

20. I think the word is 'devolved', but I get your drift :upyeah:

• Like Like x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information