1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Multistrada 1200 Gt Engine Dies While Running

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by Depresno, Dec 17, 2014.

1. Hellou every one please some help here. Recently I bought a MTS 1200 GT 2013 it has 3300miles and recently while running (it doesn´t matter which gear is engaged) the engine simply dies and all the electronics remain on (dashboard, lights, etc). Sometimes the engine restatrs inmediately and sometimes need to wait around 10mins to restart (dashbord and lights working). Bike is now with the dealer but they don´t have a clear idea, even mentioned the kickstand sensor but I think air sensor is much likely.

Any ideas? I love the bike but that happens every time after 10 to 15 mins use.

2. Sorry but I've no idea really. As you're aware the sidestand switch is the most likely culprit but it could be any other electrical intermittent contact and these are notoriously difficult to trace. I doubt if the air sensor is the cause as it is unlikely to cause the engine to cut out, it would just run poorly. Also, the EOBD light would show on the dash along with an "AIR TEMP" error in the round window.

3. Gap on crank sensor?

4. Good point. Or the crank sensor itself. When they start to fail they often do so intermittently, especially when they get hot, then the engine starts ok when it cools down, until the next time. A diagnostic check should show a "Crank sensor" error.

5. It could be something other than what's been mentioned above.

6. Thank you all, Dealer is going to run tests on both sensors and a full scan. I´ll let you know the outcome

7. I had the same problem today pulled out to overtake and it stopped dead. It nearly tipped me off :( I pulled over turned the ignition off then back on and it seemed ok until I got home and it stopped dead in the driveway. I'm mystified suppose the only thing is give it a try again tomorrow.

8. Mine is still with the dealer, after several tests the bike is running ok without the kickstand sensor. They told me that they sent all the info to Ducati in Italy and still waiting for an answer (and the new sensor).

One thing is for sure, mine was getting worse every time I got the bike out.

9. Sorry to be a sceptic, but really.
    New member, first time contact is made.
    unknown engine failure!

If I could be arsed id start up an internet company that had advertising like "want your competitions reputation shatters...call fake customers limited".

Any dealer worth his salt would connect the computer to the black box system and have the cause diagnosed instantly.

10. I started my bike today and it ran perfectly until I turned it off!
    As it does every day.

• Like Like x 2
  11. For your info I'm not a new member, and if you can tell where I can find a dealer who's open at 5pm on Xmas Eve I'll go there straight away lol

12. I may be new at the forum but not new at the brand. This is my fourth Ducati and also have a Diavel. I thought these forums are meant to help, specially if the name is "Technical Help"

Love my bikes!!

13. My comment was clearly aimed at the OP.

I'm not aware of any systematic causes of an engine stop on any of the Multistradas.
    The OP hasn't made it clear if it happens while riding or just when the engine is running.
    If when riding I'd check out the side stand switch, as this can be problematic on many bikes.
    Note the MTS1200 has a gear indicator, which also detects Neutral. This has been known to fail on multiple MTS1200, but normally results in incorrect gear or neutral display (while still in gear).

Just to be helpful.
    Since the OP is located in Mexico, try draining all the fuel and refill with a known good source.

14. Another long shot is that the Exhaust flapper valve is stuck shut.
    Symptoms are normally poor performance rather than engine shut down.
    A quick inspection with a torch should suffice.

15. My friend has a Multistrada which did much the same as the OP mentions......eventually it would not restart.

Carl Harrison picked the bike up and found the problem was the throttle position sensor........

....However, the OP's description seems just like fuel starvation because of a blocked tank breather.

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. My problem turned out to be the side stand switch, I shorted it out and the bike ran fine, I've just to wait for the dealer up here to reopen post holidays then get it swapped out under warranty

17. Actually, AirCon, you may be right, but my 2013S's engine has cut out several times when coasting to halt in neutral - but never when under load - and two dealers remain mystified. Both say unless it happens when being ridden by them they can't really help. I never coast now. It has always restarted but it's a pain and there is always the possibility that it won't restart easily.

18. Why would you coast to a halt in neutral?
    Note the ECU knows which gear you're in, speed, throttle position, and air temperature.
    It loads the appropriate fuel and spark map.
    May be it is the coasting in neutral, rather than a low gear that is the issue?
    You are doing better than me being able to select neutral on the move.

19. Same thing happened twice when I have coasted to a halt in low gear too. I find I can tap down into neutral from second while on the move. Dealers don't think it should happen but it's not a big issue. I just make sure I don't do it! Just laziness in town anyway.

20. Had same prob with 749 few years back coming to a stop pull clutch in and it would die, it went back to the dealer once a month for 6mths every time they would have the bike for a week.
    Never got to the bottom of the problem though.
    But they took the bike off my hands and replaced it with a brand spanking new one, now that's customer service.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information