1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New coolant Re-call for multi

Discussion in 'Multistrada' started by Nik the greek, Sep 21, 2012.

1. Called into SMC Ducati dealers in Sheffield this mornig to check out the remote key recall as mentioned on a previous thread, which mine had already changed by previous owner, however their system showed a new recall that was issued on 14/09/12, showing " coolant ".

It said that new batches had been sent to dealers, but SMC had not taken delivery yet, they think it is anti-freeze related ?

They did not know anymore, so cant be more specific i am afraid.

2. topic at the US forum as well now, great web link posted at ducati.ms forum: Glycol in oil

3. It seems to be due to porous cylinder heads caused by the glycol based anti-freeze.

Not sure why it effects Multis more than most other Ducatis.

4. It may extend to other models, but the dealer only mentioned multi's, hence why i posted in multi section and not general section.

5. They start the coolant campaign with the Multistrada, because they think Multistrada owners do most milage:upyeah: Other models will follow:smile:

6. "ducati.ms US forum"

straight from TSB 12-003
    Coolant
    AGIP PERMANENT SPEZIAL 1-liter container part # 90130011B

Ducati has decided to implement a new engine coolant type. The product - AGIP PERMANENT
    SPEZIAL - has been tested under all use conditions and outperforms the previous coolant. The
    Multistrada 1200 is the first model implementing this product and all other bikes will follow. It was
    chosen due to the high average mileage covered by Owners of this motorcycle. Ducati requires it’s
    dealers to replace the coolant on all M.Y. 2010, M.Y. 2011 and M.Y. 2012 Multistrada 1200s free of
    charge to the Owner (for both coolant and labor).
    The innovative features of this product provide improved protection for all parts contacting it. This coolant is
    easily recognizable by its pink color, it is pre-diluted and ready for use, and it must be changed every 48
    months or 30,000 miles/ 48,000 km.
    Affected VIN range requiring application of the technical solution
    AFFECTED VINS
    COUNTRY VERSION From frame no. To frame no.
    USA, CDN, MEX ZDM12BLW4AB000023 ZDM12BLW4CB021022

CUSTOMER NOTIFICATION
     All final customers will be notified by Ducati via e-mail (if DMH has their address) or via postal service
    and they will contact you to schedule the appointment
    This update operation is valid up to 31 December 2013. After this date it will no longer be
    possible to view the operation and claim the reimbursement.

• Like Like x 1
  7. I'm going to give SMC a bell today as they supplied my bike - not heard anything from them though regarding this 'recall'

8. Keep us imformed bob, not heard from them either about any recall

9. Mark, just spoke to Paul in Servicing down there and yes he is waiting on a batch of new coolant to be delivered. Might be an idea to contact him so you will be one of the first in line to get it sorted as it arrives.

10. Popped onto my dealers today and found that my 2012 Multi showed the recall on their system. Coolant ordered but no contact from Ducati yet but it will be changed soon.

11. how long do you estimate the dealers will need the bike for to do this recall? is it something that can be done while you wait?

12. Hope so, cant be that long to drop coolant, flush & refill ?

13. Mine is booked in for next week.

14. I was told it would take up to two hours. What amazes me though is that Ducati themselves or dealer has not contacted me for the update! Has anybody been contacted or have we all found out just by chance?

15. Sat in dealers now, they say you have to have letter from Ducati advising of recall before they can proceed

16. I called in to ask about the remote key recall, this one came up on computer as a new recall. Mine was processed there and then without any paperwork or letter, just waiting for dealer to get stuff in

17. Dealer told me about the coolant change today. It'll be added to the list, along with the left hand side switchgear and the fork shims. I'll take the opportunity to switch back to the standard fork springs at the same time ...I'm 5.5kg lighter now and even with minimum front preload, it's too much! They'll be on Fleabay then, unless someone wants to put the heavier (7.5Nm) springs on their bike.

18. They just checked the VIN No for me and booked it in for a coolant change. I will have to mention the switchgear to them before i bring it in!

19. Ah...the left hand switchgear problem I have/had is that sometimes it gets 'sticky', so when you press the buttons nothing happens. Of course now Ducati have agreed to change it, it's working fine! ;-) Clutch is grabby though, so they are going to take another look (it was grabby before, but a bleed sorted that out). This time they are talking about swapping out the clutch slave....

Do Not Sell My Personal Information