1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New coolant Re-call for multi

Discussion in 'Multistrada' started by Nik the greek, Sep 21, 2012.

1. Just latched onto this thread and been out to check my bike (2010).

Can't really tell, but it looks kind of blue (or just water), definitely not pink, but seeing a comment above I have convinced myself it used to be green?

At 15k miles and 25 months old, I guess the damage will have been done by now? Bury head in sand time!

2. May be worth a chat with your local dealer anyway. If not it just get it changed to the same spec stuff at next service.

3. Of all the potential problems with the MTS12 this one shoots straight to the top of my 'concerns' list - ok so Ducati are flushing coolant systems and replacing the coolant with a revised spec coolant......but what about the internal damage done to date by the use of inappropriate coolant but yet to progress so far as to exhibit a visible symptom?! My bike is 30 months old (6 months of extended Warranty remaining) but has done less than 15000 miles in that time........I would like to see an undertaking from Ducati that they will replace cylinder heads / head gaskets or whatever regardless of Warranty status should a failure occur relating to the coolant issue (yeah I know.....flying pigs! :mad:)

And HOW THE FCUK does a manufacturer like Ducati make such a massive/crucial error like this in the first place???!!! :eek: .....you barely need schoolboy chemistry knowledge to work out what anti-freeze/coolant is compatible! :frown:

Next question........this is another Ducati stealth or secret 'recall'??........I've had no contact from my Dealer (although by phoning them they've confirmed they'll do the coolant upgrade) or Ducati central

Some info/references found:

I presume there's a UK version of the above?

Not had time to read the following but there could be more info:
    Coolant Recall??? - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum

4. Had to phone my dealer today to enquire about the coolant change

No letter or info from Ducati or phone call from the dealer...?

So it appears it may be another one of those, if you don't ask you don't get recalls...?

Now Booked in for Sat for the new stuff !!

5. I was due to go in Sat Mark - but now Friday

6. Can't make Friday Bob, pity you could have bought me a burger !,,

7. Decided to give my dealer a ring like you and, yep, the coolant needs changed so booked in for tomorrow.

I wonder when Ducati will get round to letting people know? I've received plenty of emails from them about Ducati Clubs etc so they've got the right address.........?

Mark H

8. Spoke to dealer - they are awaiting 100's of bottles of the stuff before they start to call people in. They aren't exactly sure why this is being done and have never seen the corroded head problem. As far as they are concerned, should the problem occur after the 3 year warranty period, Ducati will have to stand on regarding the bikes that have ran for 2 years plus on the "wrong" fluid?

9. Yeah, if you buy a bike from a dealer then you enter into a contract and you have rights, the sale of goods act states that any item you buy from a trader must be of satisfactory quality, fit for purpose and as described. If not then they must offer a repair, replacement or refund. I expect they know that, and would not want to duke it out in court (sorry).

10. Got a call from my dealer today about a different matter, they booked me in and I asked for how long, an hour he said. Then I asked if he knew anything about a coolant recall, then immediately he said 2 hours if you want the coolant recall done as well (i.e. coolant takes just less than an hour).
    At no point was he going to suggest doing the recall, he was going to book me in for just the other matter, even though he was fully conversant with the coolant recall. A bit odd.

#72 DonaldDuc, Oct 12, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2012
  11. I asked for mine to be done and was told that that's no problem as it probably needs done

12. Had the coolant changed today and it took about 2 hours all told. I was chatting to the guys in the workshop while they were working away and snapped the coolant:

IMG_0382.jpg

IMG_0383.jpg

Not sure the pics tell you very much to be honest :frown: but I can confirm the colour is definitely pink! :upyeah:

All the best, Mark H

IMG_0382.jpg

IMG_0383.jpg

13. Absolutely agree with you Andy. Mine is a June 2010 with the 3rd year Warranty also. My bike is in for it's 15k next weekend and I've asked for the coolant change (no contact from DUK or Riders so far).

I think I will be putting a letter on record to DUK about the possible damage already done and the future liability that DUK have to repair any future failure down to this incorrect specification fluid being used in manufacture. It would be interesting to have some input from an expert on the problem/likelyhood/severity of damage. Is it worth keeping a sample of the drained fluid as an insurance (assume metal content would be evidence). Am I being paranoid?

• Like Like x 1
  14. Definitely not paranoid in my opinion. I'm going to raise that question when I take mine back to m/ch Ducati on tues for warped discs issue

15. I think the letter is a good idea Ian and it will be VERY interesting to see how DUK respond.........paranoid?........maybe........you and me both!
    And yes it would help a lot to have an 'expert' opinion but it may be difficult for anyone independent of Ducati to comment without more information. I know of a suitably qualified/experienced non Ducati guy....I'll ask if he can comment.

Anyone know what the original coolant is (brand/spec)?

Anyone able to shed light on what damage actually occurs to the heads?

I'm not sure where this statement
    Some bikes have had major issues related to porous heads. Ducati Technical Director Andrea Forni said in an interview it's traced back unexpected internal corrosion by glycol coolant, and they now recommend non-glycol coolant for current Testrastretta engines. But no technical bulletin or other specific recommendation is available as far as anyone can tell.
    ...came from Bob but would appear to be a misinformed source.......as usual all we have to go on is speculation and rumour!! :mad:
    If only someone in the know would provide us with the actual facts of the matter!

I have no idea what UK Dealers have been told / been instructed to do - the Memo above is from a USA Dealer.

16. As i said when i started the thread, the recall was showing on their system but was only a few days old. I dont know what info they put into the ducati system, i guess vin number ? but that listed all of the warranty claims registered against my bike.

One problem i did come across was that as i am the second owner within the two year warranty period they could not find away to update the details with Ducati,as it did not allow them to ammend the owner. From what they said the recalls were usually done via email, Now with my triumph that had a redcall done for a rear suspension link, and i had a letter, from this i guess that if it is a safety related recall then the registered keeper is informed as listed on the DVLA system ?? On VOSA website it only shows the rear brake issue as a recall :http://www.vosa.gov.uk/vosa/apps/re...Year=2010&cboMake=DUCATI&cboModel=MULTISTRADA 1200&cboSortOrder=rec_launch_date&cboAscDesc=ASC&PageSize=10&tx=&Search=Search

17. Is there someone on here of a legal persuasion that could draft a standard letter that we could all use to send to Ducati UK?

18. I was in my dealers today on another issue (warped discs at 10k mls) and asked him about this and other recurring issues after warranty expired. He said it was all down to goodwill warranty by Ducati. So chances are with items such as clocks (i'm on my 3rd set) they would replace them. He wouldn't give a definitive answer but tried to reasure me. My worry is having to take a big gamble on Ducati's goodwill or should i cut my losses now at 10k? Big decision time,thing is i really love the damn thing:mad:

Do Not Sell My Personal Information