1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1200 New Multi Imminent?

Discussion in 'Multistrada' started by duke63, Sep 19, 2014.

1. Got back yesterday from riding down to Misano to watch Rossi win and took in a factory tour too.

The Multi production line was the only one not producing anything and was closed down. Does this mean a new redesigned bike is imminent?

2. The same thing was reported on Ducatims yesterday leading to speculation that a new bike is on the cards

3. Strange I went in August and they told me they wont be starting the line back up until October. there was one half finished multi sat at the end of the line.

4. me...me...me....
    I'm about to buy a Skyhook Pikes Peak....should I wait :Arghh:

5. Well, I went ahead and bought one anyway. Wouldn't bet the silver on a new one being out soon unless the press start showing "sneak photographs" anytime now. Unlike the GS1200LC, I don't want to be anyone's "beta" tester.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Nuke Post Nuke Post x 1
  6. Unless they've changed since I was last in the factory Ducati don't manufacture individual models on dedicated lines.... so I wouldn't read too much into what you do or don't see being produced on any particular day.

7. I would be surprised if there isn't a new one released for 2016?

6 years is pretty standard for car platforms nowadays, with half term "tweaks" to keep them fresh.

We have already seen Skyhook and twin spark, so the next move should be a substantial shift, if they want to keep the MTS at the top of the heap?

I'd like to see a shaft with a 4 bolt wheel and cruise control, but not holding my breath on the former?

8. When I was there about 10 days ago the line was totally shut down for Multis . We were told that the line was being upgraded and improved and would be shut down for a while... Make of that what you will.
    Great tour btw - I didn't realise (and was asked to tell people) that the museum itself is part of the tour - you need to be there on time for the tour which includes museum as well. Brilliant tour and really informative - surprised it was just me and my mate and the lady taking us round - thought we would be in a big group. Felt great taking the ST3 back 'home' too lol

9. They seem to now.

10. Well if the do change it lets hope they get rid of that stupid sky hook and put a colour dash on it with built in satnav and Bluetooth for your helmet, phone and Ipod oh and cruse control and an electric fuel cap and seat latch.

• Like Like x 1
  11. If they were doing anything to the production line (final assembly - engines are built in a different line) then now is the time. The factory closes for holiday in August so they could start upgrades/repairs during/after this with minimal disruption.
    If a new model is being built they would either not do factory tours or you would be guided a different way round the factory and not see the assembly line at all. This happened to us when the Diavel was being built but not announced, and they had screens up so you couldn't see anything.

12. or maybe they are just busy building replacement heads, engines, forks, switches, looms, big ends, and ecu's that their existing customers are waiting to receive for their less than 4 year old existing bikes :)

• Like Like x 1
  13. The only thing they build/finish in house is the engine! The forks, switches, looms and ECUs (etc) are all supplied externally so if you're waiting for them it's probably the supplier.

14. They assemble the engines in house, but the only components they actually manufacture in the factory are camshafts and crankshafts - all other components are supplied externally. Or so I was told at the factory.

15. I'm not sure if they actually manufacture the cams and cranks or whether they just finish them.
    They still do some finishing of casings, heads, con-rods, etc, but the castings are all made externally.

16. What day were you out there Loverobot? We were there on Tuesday the 9th ( I think! ). I was on an 1199s and the lady had to park her GSX-R600 on the road outside and wasn't amused haha.

17. The cranks and camshafts are supplied externally but finished in house.

18. That's what I thought. First few times we went, many years ago, there used to be a little old lady whose sole job was to finish and balance the con rods using various equipment. She had her own little area and a wooden board with nails in it to hang the finished con rods onto. You'd often see a dozen matched pairs of con rods finished and hooked on the board, and a stack for her to work on!
    Mind you, I haven't done a factory tour for a couple of years now so I expect they've upgraded her to a newer model by now ;)

19. Correct me if I'm wrong, but as I understand it the factory does not do any casting, forging, pressing, welding, brazing, plating or painting. Nor do they make any plastic or rubber parts, electrical parts, brake parts, or suspension parts. They do however do some machining and grinding, but only on a few parts. The main things the factory makes in-house are all the desmodromic camshafts - they do not want outside suppliers involved in that unique and crucial process.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. I'm fairly sure the camshafts are also supplied externally and finished in house.I did the tour only last week and we were shown the crates of cam and crankshafts waiting to be finished.

The lovely lady running the tour did tell us the name of the Company that supplies them by i have forgotten it now. It was written on the sides of the crates and is fairly local to the Factory.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information