1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1200 New Multistrada: Dealer Relationship Killer??

Discussion in 'Multistrada' started by Moley, Nov 10, 2014.

1. Bloody hell!!!....just spoke to my dealer about part exchanging my 2013 S with termi and remap for the new Strada....It was a very downbeat and negative conversation!!
    The dealer implied that this new model looked wonderful and would be very happy to take a deposit to secure the first of the new models expected in April.
    When the conversation then turned to a part exchange value on my existing Skyhook the tone took on a very different stance.....before the 'value' of the PX was mentioned a few statements came out:
    New model will have a negative impact on value!
    Lots of used machines in stock at the moment!
    Concerned about shifting existing current model stocks without big reductions!
    Concerned about being inundated with used machine px's prior to the release date!!
    Concerns about the effect that a huge devaluation on current owners will have on their confidence in buying again!!
    ......all in all......very negative indeed.
    Will I buy the 2015?..............No, not after that 'valuation'.

• Like Like x 1
  2. I remember being told a lovely story by a BMW 6 series owner some years back. When the guy was buying the car, a manual, he was told how rare it was to see a non automatic version and because of that the purchase price was high. 3 years later trying to part ex at the same garage the same salesman told him the manual models were worth so much less as everybody wants automatics.
    That said, the biggest hit on depreciation is always in the first year or two and maybe the dealer in question really does have plenty in stock and new versions do inevitably depress the value of the old, so possibly not a huge surprise.
    What have you decided to do - hang on to yours another couple of years so as to get better value from it or go elsewhere perhaps ?

3. Very different take on this here as the comments from current 1199 owners about the 1299 is there convinced it won't affect prices.

4. Slightly different when the existing model is to continue in production.

5. Perhaps pcp is the way forward with a gfv at least you are future proof and know where you stand.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. My advice would be to stick on Biketrader or MCN. I got a very unattractive P/X offer on my 2010 Multi too and I'm bloody sure I could beat it by 1K-1.5K by selling it privately!

7. Its why i bought my Multi on a PCP. I know the worst case scenario when my 3 years is up. Not sure i would want all the money wrapped up in a bike anyway.

8. Why think about it? The minute the front wheel goes onto the Tarmac you've lost thousands. If you have the money to upgrade brilliant otherwise be happy they will still make parts.

9. What, like the pikes peak...

10. And your surprised because?

11. I'm surprised not necessarily at the 'valuation' itself, (much!!) but more the 'negative' attitude of the dealer towards what was, up until a few weeks ago, a 'flagship' model that retained a fair value based on depreciation for a machine of its age. I got the distinct impression that what was a 16k motorcycle was suddenly undesirable to the dealers, and that they were setting themselves up to 'buttcluck' current owners on future second hand value's four months before launch of a new model. No one wants to hear what the value of their 16k machine is to a dealer now, hence the title of the thread!!!!...I have been contacted by a few people who have had virtually the same story......are you not surprised at virtually a 50% loss on an 18 month old machine????

12. Not at all. That's how it is with dealers. they offer you a shit price and then add a couple of grand on when they want to sell it.

Years ago I had a Granada. The RRP at the time was £27k. A year later it was worth £4k from a dealer. Thank fuck it was a company car.

13. 50% in 18m is harsh given those bikes are for sale at 13k still now

14. Bradders, tbf it is not the best time to sell 2nd hand bikes, but on that note it is a bad time also for a dealer to sell any bike so he should jump at the chance, but that said, all dealers are generally greedy and want the best of both worlds some a lot more than others.
    Just remember though not all dealers are the same, try another dealer.

I get the impression Ducati are greedy on the new sales of bikes just on the market, as there will be a demand for them and a shortage of them for the 1st 6 months

There is a lot on the New MS that I am very interested in, but now :) there are quite a few bikes coming onto the market in the same sector equally very good, so a good point for us to bargain with.

15. I don't think its the dealers fault, it's you, us ,I...Eg supply and demand. They will do whatever demand dictates and profit accordingly. If they have a queue of Apple esq punters queuing at the door with every release, then of course they are going to price accordingly. Consumerism gone mad.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. Unfortunately when you buy a £16k bike new, £2700 of that £16k is money paid to the government in VAT and nothing to do with the value of the bike.

To your dealer that sale was worth £13,300 and not £16,000.

17. Never believe the vat thing. Try and find a 1 month old 2nd hand bike for 3k less ;)

My PCP give GFV of about 8500 at 3 years...'and what it's worth over that if your deposit on another. Look, there are 11k ones of that age in the showroom'

So yes 50% in half that time is taking the piss

• Nuke Post Nuke Post x 1
  18. Yeah, some good comments....this isn't my first rodeo......I have been buying new machines for both myself and my training school for over thirty years.......but on residual value in 18 months its a feckin' first for me!!....so by the current train of thought if I px and take the hit at say a 7k loss on my current bike and then lose the 'vat and depreciation' on the purchase of a new model....all things considered I reckon cost to change in real terms should be just a bit shy of ten grand!!
    You have to be kidding right??

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Boys, don't worry bout it. If you worry bout the depreciation you will never buy a new bike, always worried about the impending new model. I tell you what if you only just brought ur multi a year ago you don't need a new one in a few months I guarantee that. How about wait until the bike owes you nothing and look again for the new version and maybe sell urs for a reasonable resale price for age and mileage.
    Simple answer don't be greedy and materialistic at least till u can afford it and get on ur existing Ducati which hopefully has nothing wrong with it and ride it.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 1
  20. And as an aside....the guy who gave me the 'good news' was the same guy who sold me my machine 18months ago.....fair play to him for being able to sleep at night!!....dealers....pah!!

Do Not Sell My Personal Information