1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Obesity, Disability And The Eu

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by johnv, Dec 18, 2014.

1. We haven't had pop at the EU recently so here goes.

“Obesity can constitute a ‘disability’ within the meaning of the Employment Equality Directive,” the European Court of Justice has ruled.

This would place a legal obligation on employers to provided special facilities for the obese.

Another step too far from the EU or yet more evidence of a caring compassionate EU ?

2. aye let me cut the door off so you can work under the dash, ya fat bastid. aint happening.:smile:

3. Its a load of. Obesity is not a disability. Its greed and gluttony and is an example of PC gone mad. However it is also likely to be another example of the 'British Sausage'...

4. You mean like a fully fitted kitchen with an American style fridge? :)

5. Larger seats and parking spaces.

Already I have seen significantly wider seats in airport lounges.

6. Maybe a more caring EU could make owning a ducati a disability as it has a disasterous effect on my bank account and total inability to conform to normal rules of following the car in front at 7.5mph below the regulated speed limit for ever.

How many millions are going to be expended on interpretating these rules and legally defining what is obsese and then get embroiled over legal challenges to obesity rules because certain racial groups are heavier / leaner than others and that what ever leglislation is brought in will subjected to legal challenge after legal challenge by taxpayer funded legal aid.

They have opened a can of worms.

Looking forward to Petes imformative perspective on this.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. I'm not fat, I'm disabled....Please provide for me the following.....Oh you didn't, well that's discrimination...:Meh:
    Is the Payment Protection Cash Cow drying up? Something else for the f'ing "lawyers" to get fat on!

8. Can I get a blue badge?

9. Hopefully yet another anti-EU scare story ... but if it isn't ... I'm resigning from the human race in disgust.

10. So no one can call me fatty anymore?

11. Shut up, fatty.

• Funny Funny x 3
  12. I've been disqualified from the human race for pushing :Banghead:

• Funny Funny x 1
  13. I can't take this in - really next minute you'll be telling me that you can get 'signer 'ginas on the NHS

14. There's a suggestion the huge grazing beasts are to be allowed use of disabled parking spaces at supermarkets, when in fact it should be compulsory they park at the furthest point of the car park in order to get some exercise by plodding, as fast as they can swing their giant hams, towards yet more food. What next? Supermarkets forced to relocate pie counters to just inside the main door?

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  15. They are also going to be charged more for using the public roads.All the fatties have to have massive battered old 4 by 4's to get around in.

16. Nah, they get brand new people carriers on Motability.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. Well I suppose if you have spent all your money on lovely fatty food the state does owe you something.I do feel a rant coming on.I feel very sorry though for those people who are entitled to benefits and are forced to jump through hoops to get any help.The scroungers seem to know just how to work the system.

18. I've been listening to the new on R4.
    My understanding of the story was that "Obesity can constitute a ‘disability’ within the meaning of the Employment Equality Directive,” but most of the time, it won't. It wasn't a "roll over" (hee hee) from the EU, just a ruling that obesity might constitute a disability in certain cases.

I also thought I heard a woman from, I thought, an obesity society (could be wrong) saying that it wasn't a good plan, as it might normalise obesity and people should be trying to get thinner. Wherever she was from, it was the voice of reason.

I've thought that fatty food and calorific drinks should be taxed for years. Why just alcohol and fags?

Give me a double helping of Fat Tax - The Glidd of Glood Blog

19. After reading the thread I was concerned that obesity would be normalised
    That's the last thing that should happen
    I do think that an obese person shouldn't be penalised when applying for a job there is obese and can work and obese and can't get out of a chair let alone apply for a job
    Obesity is usually the end product of underlying cause like unhappiness
    A year to save my life is quite an eye opening programme and many of those weigh 3-400lb and extremely unhappy from childhood

Yes I agree all fatty foods cola chocolate should be taxed as these are all cheap to get hold off and easy to gorge on
    All food that can make you obese is cheap
    I see the baskets of good that come through and the needy families are the ones whose are full of these items

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. One sensible reply amongst lots of the usual senseless, thoughtless shit. Well done people. This olace heads further down and down the the gixer forum route. Burn em, imagine how much energy they'd give off..surprised no one has suggested that yet

Its madness that obesity may be considered a disability, and regardless how the news at 6 has just reported it, it isnt. Some of the diseases created, however, may be classed as. And you have the protection in case of being sacked in the same respect as disability. Which I suspect is more a process needs to be followed to retire you than just sack you, which the guy who brought the case to the court was for not being able to bend down and tie kids shoes.

There is a combination of nurture and nature which drives some to be more prone to obesity than others. Its not simply greed for greeds sake.

And anyone that thinks it is is an ingnorant knob. Fact.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information