1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panigale 899. WARNING. Throttle sticking!

Discussion in 'Panigale' started by Cerec1, Jan 12, 2014.

1. :mad:
    Took my 899 over to Wales for a run today. Desperate to get 600 miles on it for its service and the Termi's to be fitted.

Anyway 30 mins into the trip the gear indicator showed 1 when I was clearly in top gear and had been for a while.

Co-incidence or otherwise went into a corner, rolled off the throttle and the bike kept accelerating. Grabbed a bit of front brake and the throttle was ok. It did this 3 times.

Properly frightening bearing in mind the roads were wet and covered in slime.

Stopped for for a brew at Abergavenny. No neutral light when I pulled up.

Warmed back up, started the bike and all was ok. 50 miles home and no issues either with the throttle or gear indicator.

Seem to remember reading something a week or 2 ago about a 1199 Panigale having the same issue with a non responding throttle.

Anybody had similar issues?
    I'll be calling my dealer in the morning.

#1 Cerec1, Jan 12, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 8, 2014
  2. Yes, that was me. Identical issue, and identical issue with the gear position indicator. Please can you drop me a PM and I will give you my phone number.

Mine is up at JHP being looked at and we are trying to trace the fault, so any help there would be great.

I was told that no-one else had ever had it, but your symptoms are IDENTICAL.

Scarred the crap out of me when it did it as I was on a cold wet day just about to tip into a roundabout and take a first left - when it carried on accelerating rather than engine braking, no way I was making it. You do self correct in about 0.5 seconds, but then you are off line, too quick et al, so not funny.

Please get in touch. Which dealer may I ask?

#2 ChamMTB, Jan 12, 2014
  3. one more person on US forum site reported similar problem

4. yev,

Do you have a link to this please? Was it on ducati.org? ducati1199.com?

I am rather keen to see if this is happening more than once. I was told Ducati hadn't heard of it before....

Thanks,
    Ian

#4 ChamMTB, Jan 12, 2014
  5. Fly by wire! A CRAZY idea IMO and unsafe! If it were mine I ask for my money back, end of! If a rider ran wide into a turn and went head on into a car and died you'd be the one who were blamed for the crash! I'd go friken mad if that were my bike!!!

Good luck!

• Like Like x 2
  6. It would seem the factor in common with both these incidents is the gear indicator freezes probably showing the wrong gear.

This is not scaremongering and I maybe wrong but if a gear indicator on either an 899 or 1199 Panigale shows what seems to be a false reading be very careful.

Personally I would switch the bike off and see if it resets before you even consider riding any further.

#7 Cerec1, Jan 12, 2014
  7. happened on my 848 last year only had it a month from new. ride by wire is very safe and reliable, on cars 2 sensors on pedal if they go out of synk, car goes in to limp. bikes are probably the same.

8. Sorry but I don't follow your post. You say your throttle stuck open and it's safe?!

9. Doesn't the 899 / 1199 have some function whereby the throttle is opened to minimise engine braking and reduce the risk of rear wheel lockup ? If it is confused over the actual gear selected in relation to the road speed could it be over applying this throttle opening ?

I am just thinking out loud and am probably barking up the wrong tree, but it was what came into my head.

10. Sounds feasible, speedo reads say 50mph+ but thinks its in 1st, close the throttle and bingo fuel getting squirted into the cylinders to stop rear wheel lock up.

11. I had that very same thing at Silverstone on my 848, heading down a straight came off the throttle and it just kept going. Absolutely shit myself! Had it looked at but nothing was found and it only ever did it once. Made me a little wary of it though for a good while after.

12. Might be worth informing VOSA - sounds like a safety critical issue that needs investigation and possible recall.

13. Certainly a good theory that seems to fit the facts. Hopefully Ducati will take the problem seriously and diagnose the problem.

14. Out of interest did you notice the gear indicator at the time?
    No problem since?

15. 848 doesn't have a gear indicator, or a ride by wire throttle AFAIK

16. FWIW, not sure that US post is relevant. He is very unclear as to what happened. I am not. It was quite clear that the engine did not receive any instruction from the ECU that the throttle had been closed, it carried on (on each occasion) with the same input as it had been doing before I shut the throttle - i.e. either accelerating (first time) or carrying on with neutral throttle (second time), even when I had shut the throttle mechanically - i.e. completely shut.

We will try and find out why. It felt like the RBW input wasn't received, rather than the throttle bodies had stuck. But same effect.....

17. makes a change from "they all do that sir, it's called character."

Joking apart it sounds awful. Something like this can ruin sales of bikes so would of thought they would sort it

18. no throttle sticking is obviously unsafe, the system is a very reliable system in general,

19. Gimme cables, levers and pulleys anyday. Scarey. Glad your okay.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information