1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Planning 2015 Trip To The East

Discussion in 'Touring' started by Pete1950, Aug 28, 2014.

1. My thoughts are turning towards planning a biking trip in Summer 2015. What I have in mind is a two week holiday in July something on these lines:

1. Overnight ferry Harwich to the Hook of Holland.
    2. Hook to Berlin
    3. Sightseeing in Berlin
    4. Berlin to Oswiecim
    5. Visiting Auschwitz sites at Oswiecim
    6. Oswiecim to Vienna
    7. Sightseeing in Vienna
    8. Vienna to Prague
    9. Sightseeing in Prague
    10. Prague to Stuttgart
    11. Sightseeing in Stuttgart
    12. Stuttgart to Strasbourg via the Black Forest
    13. Sightseeing in Strasbourg
    14. Strasbourg to Calais and London.

Seven riding days averaging c. 400 miles each, interleaved with seven non- (or little) riding days. Should be feasible, surely?

• Like Like x 1
  2. That has just brought back many fond memory's from my lorry driving days. Before the commy block collapsed I remember going through the wrong barrier into east Berlin!! thought I wasn't going to get out, another time in Prague trying to get from one side to the other every road I took left me blocked with a low bridge, so I asked an official looking guy who took me into a large dismal looking building four stories up to show me a map, again I wondered whether I was getting out, the communist era was quite scary at times.I could go on and on.
    Steve

• Like Like x 1
  3. Make sure you get lots of fag breaks in

4. Try the Goulash in Prague at the Strahov Monastery Brewery Pub - it's stunning! The dark lagers are good too (Cerny). We were fortunate to have my little daughter christened there after persuading one of the monks we were Catholic - hew was cool, he new we were blagging it but liked my cheek so went ahead! Best views of Prague from there too, it's just next to the castle. :Happy:

#5 Exige, Aug 28, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 2, 2015
  5. Thats funny, because the monk was clearly Christian...

6. Told you I wasn't a Catholic didn't I ;) Canons evidently... but I managed to blag it!

In 1140 King Vladislav II built a new monastery on the approach route to the Prague Castle. The monastery, which became known as the Strahov Monastery wasn't much of a success until 1143, when a group of Premonstratensians settled here.

The Premonstratensians are a Roman Catholic order of canons founded in 1120 by St. Norbert. They are also known as the Norbertians or White Canons.

7. I did a 3k trip over 2 weeks a few years ago with the missus on my MTS1200, most days were 400 milers no problem for either of us, so shouldn't be a problem... No mention of your bike which may be a factor

8. He rides a mts1200 too

9. If you're going to Auschwitz, stay in Krakow and visit the salt mines.

10. A stay in Colditz, sending me down the salt mines ... are you lot trying to tell me something?

• Funny Funny x 1
  11. They give you a key for the main gate ;)

12. Salt mines, Colditz, Auschwitz, you guys sure know how to party!

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  13. Pete to much riding if you ask me unless you want to pound motorway miles on a multi.

I would drop few countries and choose few locations on each country. For example I know you would love this in Poland after Auschwitz. Road there also lovely as there are no motorways in Poland. All in forest, single Lane, little towns and so on.
    Place to visit Wilczy Szaniec | Wolfsschanze | Wolf's Lair - Tourism

Biggest bunker complex of Mr Hitler. At the time there was no weapon that could penetrate it. After that would go to mountains and visit some of the secret ww2 sites there.

14. Few places were underground factories, few were secret aircraft development sites

15. I see a 'recommend me a hotel, with secure underground out of sight CCTV covered claymore protected' hotel in Berlin etc etc etc.

16. In Warsaw you could pop in to Warsaw uprising museum. Eye opener as to what Germans were up to in Warsaw after we said no

17. Going to Czech again would go via mountains and going there to see Prague Yes but journey it self is great.

18. you could spend a week in prague some nice clubs by the way

Do Not Sell My Personal Information