1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Race Van - Merc Vito / Vauxhaull Vivaro Or Similar

Discussion in 'Wanted' started by Monners, Dec 17, 2014.

1. Looking for a small van that will take at least two bikes. Something around £2-3000 ish although may do more if the right one came along. Hard to find anything that isn't held together by rust :(

Merc Vito, Vauxhaul Vivaro, Toyota Hiace, VW transporter, etc

#1 Monners, Dec 17, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2014
  2. Ive had a renault master and a swb transit. Now on a lwb T4 vw transporter. I wont be changing it for any thing else for a long time. It's great, pulls well (2.5l diesel) AC, cruise control, electric windows great load area and drives like a car.

3. My opinion is stay away from Vito as they rust worst than transits!!!!

T4 good value for money

I`m running a T5 LWB now after years of transits and it is like driving a car and it`s 174bhp :upyeah:

4. Cheer guys. Dave - oddly enough I was going to look at a Vito tomorrow and decided against it last minute as the rust looked like it was on it's way. I've not looked at T4/5 so will take a look whats about now.

5. Trafic or vivaro good value, just look out for dodgy 3rd gears

6. Vitos from 2005 onwards have less rust issues. I think they galvanised the panels or something like that. I had a 2000 LWB Sprinter as my race van which didn't rust too badly.

Unless you are going to use the van for other stuff too, I would consider getting a box trailer. My van was used for work too, and even when it was empty I still used it as my daily transport. Do the maths though. £200 road tax, £50 MOT, £200 servicing, £350 insurance, plus any other repair work. That's every year. I blew the engine on my Sprinter recently and it was BER so I scrapped it. It was only carrying a load about once per month so I spent £1200 on a 10' by 5' box trailer with 6' roof height. Once it's bought it's paid for. No ongoing costs. It tows great, 2 1/2 tonne load capacity. And the best bit is when you are not carrying a load you get to drive around in a car not a van.

7. people ask for my advise all the time regarding transport, there all bolox when they go wrong, i stick to fiats and alfas because i know them, dealer visits much less likely.

8. toyota hiace all day long.

9. And what about the evening? A tad impractical :)

• Funny Funny x 1
  10. I have a Vivaro and love it
    Drives really nice and has loads of room
    Back is low as is FWD

11. Hey! I just picked up a nice clean Hiace so me and the missus are just about fully kitted out for on and off road now, very happy, the bank account isn't but he doesn't talk much anyhow :)
    Anyone got any tips on what to do to the inside for brackets for loading and holding the bikes ?? Part of the attraction of bikes was that it was supposed to be cheaper than playing with track cars but I seem to be wrecking the bank account even more!!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12. Two wheel chocks up against the bulkhead, strap hook points at the front, bar straps and ratchets. Done

13. Got any links to what I need to buy Bradders? I guess I'll need to drill into the metal support parts of the body walls?

14. I would be looking at welding some lugs onto the box section bits.

15. 6 x TIE DOWN LASHING RINGS FIT TO TRAILER IFOR WILLIAMS ERDE HORSE BOX TRUCK | eBay a pack of these. Three up front (left centre right) mounted on floor. Drill holes through floor and bolt in place with through bolts - nut and washer undeneath. Mount two at approx position of rear footpegs when bike is in wheel chock against bulkhead. Mount them on floor also - same procedure. Check underside of van prior to drilling to confirm you are not going to drill through something important (ie radio arial lol)

16. cheapo anchors dont inhibit footfall in load area and nowt wrong with a bit of compression on forks or shock. the tyre over stsaps mean you need another mount point in middle of load bay - pain in the arse.

17. Ok , that makes sense. Ply lining I think I can do myself so I'll see what the price is for the sheets to be delivered.

I need the bolts as well for the anchors. I'll need a couple sets but I'll ask if this guy will do me 6:.
    NEW 4 GENUINE Ford FLOOR LASHING TIE DOWN D RINGS VAN GARAGE HEAVY DUTY | eBay
    Need two of these then
    Black Pro Range Heavy Duty Wheel Chock (B5076) - All Sale Accessories - Ghostbikes.com
    Some straps across the handle bars??
    Bike-It Handlebar Tie Down Straps - Essentials - Ghostbikes.com
    or these things look quite good?
    Motorcycle Accessories: Oxford Supa-Wunderbar Straps, Motorcycle Transportation Accessories, OF100

#18 Monners, Dec 19, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2014
  18. buy the r&g ones much better made and have a soft sleeve so the webbing won't mark the headstock

their ratchet straps are usefully short too

#19 funkatronic, Dec 19, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2014
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  19. Bradders, quick question as I've got this stuff ordered now. Is it all good just having the fitting at the front and no need to ratchet down the rear?

Do Not Sell My Personal Information