1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Repairing my crash damaged 916

Discussion in 'Builds & Projects' started by Jefr0, Oct 16, 2013.

1. Hi all

New to the site. Bought my Ducati 916 Biposto in 2009 after looking for something a bit different from my Honda CBR 600 (1991) which I still use today which I got in 2007.

When I got the bike it was in very good condition with no marks. It had a lot of carbon extras and little bits I didn't like so I put it back to original except the carbon rear hugger and WP shock (which has now been set up for me)

Duc orig 1.jpg

Duc orig 2.jpg

You can see the assortment I got of exhausts with the bike in the background and a slight view of my CBR.

I've put on a quite a few miles on the Ducati although it's really just a summer bike, I use my CBR all year round and a little XR 125 I've also got. I've also done a trackday on the Ducati which I loved and will return back to Brands Hatch in the future!

Duc1.jpg

Well fast forward to June 2013 and I had an accident. Girlfriend was on the back. We was coming to the exit whilst on the round about and got pulled out on by a first time driver in the UK from America. She was looking left rather than right thinking it was clear :rolleyes: I didn't come off too bad, just muscle damage, where as the girlfriend broke her hip :frown: - on the recovery and is not doing too bad.

The bike. It took all the damage on the LHS but structurely sound after being checked out by a Ducati dealer. It's just cosmetic really which needed fixing. As you can see from the pictures earlier, I had kept it in that shape and detail for 4 years, I intend to get it back to that state with second hand bits and new bits.

Here is the damage:

Duc (1).jpg

Duc (2).jpg

Duc (3).jpg

Duc (4).jpg

Duc (5).jpg

Duc (6).jpg

Duc (7).jpg

Duc (8).jpg

Duc (9).jpg

Duc (10).jpg

Duc (11).jpg

So I've got a bit to repair. I'd like to get it how it was, if anyone has any advice would be appreciated on where to get bits etc :upyeah:

I'm still waiting on getting paid out from insurance so progress has stopped for now but I managed to get a couple of bits:

Duc (12).jpg

Duc (12a).jpg

These parts were all second hand. Airbox was taken from a brand new bike when they wanted the carbon air box fitted so it's mint. The rear seat unit is also mint, very happy with them both.

Also the front nose cone, very good condition although a little chip on the corner (picture below) so I'm looking for a nose cone still (mint/vgc) The side panel was bought cheap and has a little mark on, so still looking for one of them.

Duc (12b).jpg

First job I did was the seat unit replacement. The one I bought didn't have the internals so had to switch them over. Gave them all a good clean before putting back together:

Duc (13).jpg

Cleaned the light unit:

Duc (14).jpg

Duc (15).jpg

Continued on next post.

Duc (1).jpg

Duc1.jpg

Duc orig 2.jpg

Duc orig 1.jpg

Duc (11).jpg

Duc (10).jpg

Duc (9).jpg

Duc (8).jpg

Duc (7).jpg

Duc (6).jpg

Duc (5).jpg

Duc (4).jpg

Duc (3).jpg

Duc (2).jpg

Duc (12a).jpg

Duc (12).jpg

Duc (12b).jpg

Duc (15).jpg

Duc (14).jpg

Duc (13).jpg

• Like Like x 1
  2. Glad you're both ok-ish.

Ask for parts here, try ebay, main dealers or Ducati breakers like BikeEnders

3. Following on from the above post.

The seat unit now all complete and finished:

Duc (13a).jpg

Without the damage :biggrin:

Duc (13b).jpg

Next up was the airbox. Wasn't a priority for me but I saw it come up on eBay pretty much new so had to get it as I knew I had a little break on it. Wasn't till I actually took it off the bike, could see the extent of the damage!

Duc (20).jpg

Duc (21).jpg

Duc (22).jpg

Duc (23).jpg

Duc (24).jpg

Was shocked to see how bad it was. The below pics are the old damaged one with the new I bought, big difference!

Duc (25).jpg

Duc (26).jpg

Duc (27).jpg

Duc (28).jpg

Now all fitted to the bike, much better :cool:

Duc (29).jpg

That's all the repairs I've done at the moment. I've also changed to the Autobatt battery which I have on all my bikes, my Dad fabricated a new bracket so it's all good.

The airbox also had this air filter:

Duc (35).jpg

I've had a read up online and it's mixed reviews. This one seems to be falling apart so was looking to replace. Not sure where to get from? It's either this or I have a brand new set of original air filters that go in the tubes (fitted them now, temporarily if people advise differently?

The main bit I'm annoyed about is the tank. Are carbon side covers available in the normal carbon you get like my tankpad? There is a set on eBay but it's yellowish carbon so, do not want!

Also, with the side panel screws, do you generally use a Ducati specific tool? As I used a non Ducati item, wasn't the best though.

Cheers for looking and I'll update when I can :upyeah:

Duc (13b).jpg

Duc (13a).jpg

Duc (24).jpg

Duc (23).jpg

Duc (22).jpg

Duc (21).jpg

Duc (20).jpg

Duc (28).jpg

Duc (27).jpg

Duc (26).jpg

Duc (25).jpg

Duc (29).jpg

Duc (35).jpg

• Like Like x 1
  4. I shall weep for your misfortune and pray for its resurrection. :upyeah:

eBay is your friend. Dont overpay though. If you miss an item, wait another will pop along. They always do. Mine fell off its paddock stand once. I was gutted. Rode to work on my then drz400 and its chain broke. I took the day off. Decided it was going to be one of those days best spent at home safe. I electrocuted myself on my boiler.

• Like Like x 2
  5. He's still waiting to get paid out on insurance.

6. Cracks on the airbox are not uncommon, especially round the screws as your shows. Even with no accident damage. Mine has them and I just sealed them with silicon.

There is some debate about over the bell mouth filters vs the standard onse in the air tubes. Ive ran both with no noticable effect as far as I can tell but i am sure someone will say their rubbish. Ive put MS Production carbon air scoops on mine so i had no option but to use what youve got. Works fine for me.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Re: air filter - the ITG 'all in one' type is certainly the most efficient as the seal between the tank and the airbox never worked 100% as standard even when new but a bit risky if engine is prone to flashback through the injector mouths. The BMC triangular type that fit in each side of the airbox apertures replacing the original type are the next best thing but very expensive for what they are. (MOO)

• Like Like x 1
  8. re the airbox:
    i had a JHP one and it caught fire..so i got rid of it. I have a new stock airbox which ive never used, but decided on a carbon one with carbon air tubes..i went down the BMC route. these have made the throttle crisper and there is a louder induction noise. i got them for £120, so deals can be done out there...
    after my fire in the hole episode i personally wouldnt risk an over bell mouth filter. it isnt a common event, but it is certainly not isolated.
    cant wait to see this baby walk again!

• Like Like x 1
  9. Jesus! ^ we are in alignment again, what's going on?..

10. So, the guys had a crash, is putting his lover back together and all we can do is tell him his bike may spontaneously combust and burn him to death in horrible yet exquisite ways.

You just dont get this kind of service anywhere else.

• Like Like x 3
  11. my first 996 had an ITG all in one with a melted hole in it above the front bellmouth and melted filter all over the butterfly - took forever to remove.

• Like Like x 1
  12. If the above have not put you off, I have an itg filter in the shed from a previous bike, (running Pipercross in standard airtubes now).
    Let me know if you are interested.

• Like Like x 1
  13. i wish someone had told me that before i fitted the filter...it wasnt nice when i could smell petrol at 80mph, lost power and saw smoke...i pulled her over to the roadside and had to watch as flame began to flick up the side of the bike...where were my fellow ducatisti?? anyway, muchos £'s later, its a distant memory.
    seeing your beloved on fire, aint nice...id rather someone be straight with me and tell that these fkrs are a liability, but no, i'll stand on ceremony instead.

• Like Like x 3
  14. Thanks for all the replies. I think when I get paid out from insurance I'll go the BMC route just for piece of mind. A lot of money for what they are though!

Can't believe the ITG filters have caught fire or been bad! Good to be signed up to here to get many opinions of what's best.

Im going to buy the ducati tool for the side panels and screen bolts soon.

Has anyone come across carbon covers for the side of the tank? I'd imagine they were available back in the day especially with the racing bikes?

Theres a set on eBay at the moment but it's a yellow carbon fibre rather than the carbon which is like my tank pad.

I started the Ducati up today just to give it a breath of life, just want to get it all fixed up now!

• Like Like x 1
  15. It's a Torx tool, doesn't have to be Ducati specific, in fact the one supplied in my 916 toolkit was shite and rounded off the first time I used it...

16. Jefr0, im sure that you can get those BMC filters for around £130 ish...i got charged just £120 as i was having quite a bit of other work done at the time...the good thing though is mate, you will get a better throttle response, more grunt, more induction noise and will never ever have to change filters ever again...plus if you decide to fit carbon air tubes youre all sorted...and no fires!!! bonus!!

17. Hi Jeff, glad to see the rebuild going well! Hope your girl friend is walking without the crutches by now. I'm still working through the jobs on my 916, the aim is to get back on road for the Italian day at Horsham next year. I wouldn't mind one of those battery brackets if your dad fancies building another one? Hopefully when mines up and running you can head down to West Malling and we can take the 916's for a blast!

• Like Like x 1
    • Like Like x 1
  18. Yeah all going well, no progress as of yet as no funds till pay out, might be a while as other party aren't being favourable. Yeah she's back to work now on light duties and hours but making good progress thanks.

What jobs does yours need doing? RE the bracket, it was specific for that Motobatt battery as it was larger than the norm so the little bracket wouldn't fit, what battery have you got? He knocked that bracket up within a couple of minutes!

Yeah that'd be good, never been out with another 916, it's usually the 848s or 1098s....you know those slow ones!

19. I hate when those 848's and 1098 hold me up!!! I've got the same battery, until now used used cable ties, but not the best way to hold it in. Sold my last panel today! So that's the funds recovered and can be used on other stuff now! Hope you don't have to wait to long for the insurance to sort it all out.

• Like Like x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information