1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

999 Termignoni Can

Discussion in '749 / 999' started by Old rider, Dec 20, 2014.

1. The Termignoni can on my 03 999 was supplied with the bike and is on the original invoice.
    What is strange is that it is of welded, rather than riveted construction.
    Anybody any idea why - could it be because it is a very early one perhaps?

2. have a picture?

3. What is it you need to know? seams are welded, tailpipes are larger, Termignoni sized. pipes within can are straight-through

4. well, welding is normal but there are different end cans and im sure they may have revised the design along the way. a picture may help identify it with members who have similar.
    larger outlet and straight through baffles are normal.

mine is the race only version in steel and i know there are quieter versions plus versions in titanium along with different pipe linkage designs for full systems or slip ons.

5. I had the impression that Termignoni cans normally were riveted together...

6. im sorry to piss on your bonfire my friend but that is a standard can that has been cored. google coring ducati 999 exhaust.
    there is one last check that will determine. will post you a pic in a sec.

7. Heres an OEM can.

IMAG0529.jpg

The shape of a termi is different where the link pipes go. It is shorter and a connecting plate is riveted on.

If you lift your seat you will see the heatshield. Have a look and see f you can make out any lettering like in my pictures.

IMAG0530.jpg

If it says ZS it an OEM can.

The Original termi may have been sold on.

If anyone corrects me as it is an early bike, then every day is a school day but for me its a Cored can that has had this done to it.... IMG_1396.JPG

The fact that its polished to me says that its for a reason and that is that its had all the lettering removed.

I know this aint great news but I hope it helps you determine what you have.

Ive just noticed in your last photo it says Ducati on the side by the carbon. Thats an OEM can mate.

8. So, larger tail-pipes have been welded on and straight through pipes inserted, without disturbing the outer can? Clever stuff...

What about the larger diameter pipe? Has that been manufactured by the corer? The only coring of a standard can I've seen on the web, was done by hacking a hatch in the top - mine's not like that.

9. Larger pipe?

Connecting pipe?

10. The pipe with the heat-shield is much larger diameter than the other.

Polishing was done by me. Original finish was satin. Numbers on bottom are 573 1 081 1A the 1A being in a square box.
    Can't get to see if any lettering without dismantling.

11. Standard exhaust.

The termi baffles dont look like yours where the tips connect either.

Sorry mate but thats a standard can thats been cored 100%.

If it sounds good and runs good then who cares. Its just not a termi so the sound will be slightly different. At least you have the cover.

Your not the first to be fooled. I fell for the old Ohlins sticker on shock trick. He even told me it was. Pissed me off weeks later when I realised.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Goes great, sounds great and whoever did the coring certainly made a fine, neat job. Has PC3 and a dyno read-out showing 128.5 bhp and lovely, smooth curves. I know the bhp thing is unreliable though.

I wonder if it was the local Ducati tuning/race prep guy who did it or got it done?
    The bike has his sticker on it and he went quite quiet when he was telling me about Termignoni baffles, then looked up the pipes...

13. This is a Ti termi that is riveted and has equal inlets. Bit mucky but you will get the idea.

2014-12-20 15.46.34.jpg

2014-12-20 15.46.53.jpg

14. Yes, rather different - how depressing... :(

15. But yours is shinier . :)

• Like Like x 2
Do Not Sell My Personal Information