1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Good Old Days

Discussion in 'Racing & Bike Sport' started by Imola, Jun 13, 2012.

1. Steve Parrish stuck this pic up on twitter.........48 starters :upyeah: 597829899.jpg
    Silverstone 1977

597829899.jpg

• Like Like x 3
  2. What a difference, eh

I still have most of my programmes from the 80's GP's and Knockhill ones too, must dig them out again.

3. Days of full grids, lots of lapping backmarkers and super close racing!

4. Sounds like DD!

5. Some great names and racers on there though, met Ron Haslam on one of his trips up to Knockhill, riding the Pharaoh TZR750 Yamaha, it was a rainy day as usual I was asking several people where to meet him .. I was pointed to a small caravan ... something like this.

Alpine.jpg

But more rounded, old world style ... I'm not joking, that's what early Bike racers got if they were lucky, none of your fancy air conditioned motor homes that even second best guys get these days :)

But anyway ... I nervously knocked on his caravan door ... it was pissing rain as usual so I kept my helmet on and the door opened, and it was indeed Ron Haslam, a totally great guy who was happy to chat and sign his name for us ... I still have that program and will scan and update this thread with it later.

Jock Taylor too.

Alpine.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  6. Yep I got a few programmes from late 70's too GPs and Transatlantic Trophy races....waiting for Dick to chime in on his probably go back to the 50s :upyeah:

7. I went to Donington every year from the early eighties, mostly cos there was a hole in the fence round the back of the paddock...

Met Rocket Ron a few times, and he remains one of my all-time sporting heroes. Especially after the 1986 transatlantic challenge when he rode a bog stock VFR750 onto the podium against top names on full race machinery.

8. I've met Ron a rew times, lovely bloke and proper old school bruiser. If you do his Honda race school you even get sent a Xmas card!

9. Another way of saying they've got a great CRM programme.

10. I went to Silverstone every year for the grand prix even went to the John Player Meetings before it became the British Round of the World Championship.
    I went to the first round when it moved to Donnington and really didn't enjoy it Just didn't have the atmosphere that Silverstone had in those days.
    In the beginning you had 50, 125, 250,350,500 and sidecars and a couple of different support races which included Formula 750
    Only went to Donnington one more time in the early nineties never been to a motogp round. I am planning Misano in September

Do Not Sell My Personal Information