1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1200 Vibes Through Bars

Discussion in 'Multistrada' started by DukeXTC, Dec 17, 2014.

1. I am getting vibrations through the bars that are numbing my hands after 20 minutes. I've had this problem for a while now and have checked engine mountings and tyre balancing and even taken it to a franchised and an independent dealer to look at it (albeit briefly)but without success. My suspicion is warped brake discs. Would that be enough to cause such a vibration? The bike is still under warranty but it runs out in May so would like to get it sorted ASAP.

Many thanks

2. Wheel balancing would be my first guess but you have already had that checked. Bearings ? Would not expect it to be the brakes as that usually manifests itself at the lever. Easy enough to check if you can raise the front wheel. Possibly also tyre deformation. If its as bad as you say then not sure how a dealer could miss it ?

3. Grip puppies was the answer in my case.

4. You can get heavier bar ends to help change the resonating frequency of the handlebars. Or may be try looking at the rubber mounts that your handlebar clamps have on if there worn or over tight it could add to the vibration.

#4 jcmental, Dec 18, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 20, 2014
  5. What tyres are you using and how many miles have they done? My Scorpions were shot and the front worn unevenly at 3,000 miles. This increased vibration at the bars. PR3s were the answer for me.

6. A light touch on the brake should let you know if its the discs you will feel a pulsing through the lever.

7. Mine has vibrated since new - I thought they were all like that?
    I have thought about changing the bar ends - but as the bars are tapered, I didn't think that would work (as the bars should already dampen the vibrations?)
    What are these grip puppies?

8. When the manoeuvring the bike, the front brake discs will bind which to me suggests that the discs are warped. Is that covered by the warranty?

9. I had mine replaced under warranty for warping.

10. When my bike was new the brakes felt they were slightly on all the time even when the bike was turned off, I was told it was something to do with the ABS keeping the system pre loaded. How true it is I don't know all I know is now it's not half as bad as it was 10k miles later.

11. When I had a similar problem with my K1300S, I tried grip puppies, which did not help at all. If anything at all it made it worse as the diameter of the bars increases.

12. Warped brakes are easy to detect/measure, whether they would cause your vibration is hard to determine. if they are warped change the pads at the same time.

13. I was hope this thread was going to be on great places to drink with fellow Ducati riders,

Do Not Sell My Personal Information