1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

999 What Have I Done?

Discussion in '749 / 999' started by 531AL, Feb 14, 2015.

1. Hi,

Went to start my bike for the 1st time in ages. So with the bike battery removed I connected a car battery direct to the terminal cables using jump leads.. stupidly the wrong way round so the positive was connected to the negative etc. Hit the starter button but nothing. I then reconnected the battery the correct way round and get the usual display lights flashing but when I hit the starter nothing happens. The orange engine light stays on. Have I fecked it?

Any help appreciated.
    AL

2. Does the fuel pump run as soon as you turn the ignition on?

If you're lucky, you blew the 20Amp starter circuit fuse. I hope that's all.

• Like Like x 1
  3. That's gotta be worrying but you'd think the starting circuit was far more robust than the display lights sequence, so that has to be hopeful.
    I would have thought the ECU might be the most delicate and easily damaged item but if it were me I'd check the fuses first, then perhaps the relays and keep my fingers crossed...

Hopefully someone way more qualified than me will give you a definitive answer soon.

Good luck!

• Like Like x 1
  4. The ecu will be frazzled

5. There's a large 30 amp fuse down below the battery . It will be blown if you have connected the wrong way round. Could be 20 amp but is much larger than a normal size fuse .

6. Oh dear... :/

7. ecu could be fooked.

8. Think it will be the fuse.

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. odds on it will be fine. any takers?

• Like Like x 1
  10. Fuse will protect high current but not reverse polarity

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. The ECU is easily bricked by reversing polarity.

If the bike starts and the fans are running there is a fix. Locate the diagnostic connector on the left side of the battery box. It is a 3 way Superseal connector (should have a cap over it). There are only 2 wires into the connector. Locate what is in effect the middle wire, tap a wire into it using a Scottish Lock or by soldering. Then run this fly lead to the -ve terminal of the battery.

If the bike does not start then check the 3 amp fuse located on the battery box.

If the ECU is bricked then I can help flashing a second hand ECU.

• Like Like x 3
  12. Thanks for the replies guys. Think the fuel pump did run and I checked the 2 fuses that are positioned near the battery and they seem fine. Will have a look tomorrow and try the wire bypass trick. Not a happy man..
    Cheers

13. not yet, i assume you where jumping because nothing was happening any way. put charged battery in then do your checks

14. I once jumped my 916 from the car with the leads reversed - large BANG as the battery exploded into a million pieces. New battery and it was fine, apart from the acid spray over the wing of my car!

• Funny Funny x 3
  15. No, the bike battery was removed and I was using a car battery with jump leads connected to the terminal wires

16. Any joy ???????

17. As I understand it, a fuse is a sacrificial weak link deliberately placed in a circuit, so the fuse is the first thing to go if too large a current flows through the circuit. Fuses have different ratings according to the delicacy of the circuit they are there to protect.
    If a reverse current of the same size flows through the circuit I'm not sure why the fuse would blow, unless the reversal means that the circuit is able to draw more current for some reason. So it's probably unlikely the fuses will have blown.
    It is apparently diodes that are killed by reverse polarity, so anything with a diode in it is at risk.
    This includes the ecu, the regulator and maybe the alternator and solenoid.

Hope you were lucky but it seems that taking the battery out and then attaching the leads from the other battery to the wrong terminals was the really big mistake...

18. Yep that's definitely blown. Where can I get a new fuse this size? Not seen one like this

19. Diodes are effectively a one way valve and are not automatically damaged by reverse polarity, it all depends upon their rating; diodes can be used to protect against reversed polarity.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Just
    Tried it with a tempary fuse and still same. All display lights flash up and the engine light stays on. Fuel pump kicks in but nothing from the starter button..

• Dislike Dislike x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information