1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What To Wear?

Discussion in 'Touring' started by Loverobot, Aug 29, 2014.

1. Going to Europe next week for 9 days on bike for first time. Am a touring noob

Rotterdam - Black Forest - Kaunertal - Alpine passes - Bologna - Pisa - home (via autotrain)

Am on a st3 with hard panniers, no top box and Kriega luggage

My question is what to wear?

I have goretex textiles which have vents but are warm if it is really warm

I alternatively am thinking armoured jeans and a vented leather jacket but concerned re the waterproofing (lack of) and I imagine its pretty guaranteed to rain heavily at some point. My waterproof one piece is pretty rubbish really

I have been thinking about taking textiles and leather jacket / jeans but they are v bulky to store either when using the other 'set' and it seems overkill tbh. I know its going to be a trade off but what do seasoned tourers usually take if you have all the options?

2. I'd wear my leathers and take a good rain suit.

3. Also bear in mind what is the most comfy on those long rides, if it was me would be my leathers and a rain suit with base layers

4. what ET says.

5. Touring on a Ducati, wear comfortable shoes that your happy to walk in as pushing a heavy old bike in Alpinestars really isn't good for your feet. :):)

If your limited on space go for the textiles.

6. What El T says.

Maybe pack a pair of Draggin or other armoured denims if you think it might get hot and have space, but certainly don't take them as your only riding trousers if you don't have decent waterproofs.

For my WDW trip I rode in leathers most of the time down there, had waterproofs with me (that I was very glad of when riding through Tuscan downpours and thunderstorms), and wore Draggins when it was really hot.

7. Leathers.
    Plus some waterproofs big enough to go over the leathers, yet which roll up small enough to go in your luggage. A spare pair of dry gloves (to use when the first pair are wet) is a real boon if you have room.

• Like Like x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information