1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1200 Where Is My Coolant Going??

Discussion in 'Multistrada' started by Moocow, Oct 28, 2014.

1. Not sure what is going on but a couple of weeks ago the bike lit up with the temperature warning when I was sat in traffic - nothing major was just sitting at lights for a couple of minutes max.
    Seemed a bit odd as it has been fine all summer on far longer rides and more sitting around.
    Noticed the other week that the coolant was right down below the minimum marker so have topped it back up thinking maybe it was low when I got it - not really something I have ever had to check on too often with previous bikes.
    Then go to ride it again this evening - less than 100 miles done, overheat warning flashed up and the coolant is all gone again!??!
    Is this normal for Ducatis? That I can expect it to need filling every fortnight or is there something terrible going on? Can't spot any leaks - nothing at all on my garage floor, rad is protected and unmarked.

2. Hate to say it but do you have an early bike, if you do check the smoking cylinder head post I created.

3. You may have the porous cylinder head problem if it's a 2010/11 bike?

4. Yeah had a look at that, not noticed anything like that at all.
    Think I may have found it, got the bike running while I topped it up - will have to change the coolant out at the weekend after I have picked up the "proper" stuff from a dealers - noticed a tiny stream coming out the water pump housing screws.
    Looks like the CNC protector isn't sealing it up properly - doesn't appear to have moved was well stuck with Loctite still so the bolts haven't moved. Odd, its been on there since I bought the bike, must have just moved or something.
    Taken it off for the minute while I monitor the situation.

5. What protector and where is it mounted?

6. If the bolts are fully tightened it shouldn't be leaking at the bolt holes as there is a gasket under the cover which should make the seal. It's not unknown for water pump covers to leak at the hose spigots which are bonded into the cover.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information