1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1098 Starting Issues

Discussion in 'Newbies Hangout' started by David Quarmby, Feb 4, 2017.

1. Hello fellow members,
    I am having issues with starting 1098, I have replaced the battery still no joy. Engine cranks over almost wants to start. If I leave it a minute or so and try again in sometimes will not even crank over. Had my 916 for over 12 years, never had this issue. Any ideas?

2. A set of @Exige 's starter leads may help you.

There can be an issue where the starter motor draws more current as it gets older. This can stop the spark, so although your bike is cranking over, it's not sparking, hence not starting. It's common on Mutlistradas according to my dealer. I replaced the standard 14A battery on my 1098R for a Lithium 18A one and haven't had any issues since.

I have no idea why it would not crank over when you come back to it though. Loose earth maybe, which could also be causing the starting issue.

3. Many Thanks Robarano, I will get some ordered

4. @Exige just pop the commision in the post buddy. :)

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. My 999 wouldn't start when I first got her. I:
    Cleaned all cabling connecters to battery, starter, etc with 400grit.
    New spark plugs
    New fuel filter
    New battery
    Emptied tank and filled with premium
    Starter cable set from @Exige

Started first go after that lot. Never an issue starting since till I let someone else service.

Much cheaper and easier than a new sprag clutch.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Welcome Dave.

7. I had all sorts of starting problems David with my 1198, what are you volts on the dash showing when you try and start it? I was also advised not to keep going for it if it didn't go the first few times due to putting wear on the starter motor and sprag clutch (i had to replace both of them).

8. Morning Pavey,
    I keep hearing about this sprag clutch, I know it had starter issues a while back which were rectified by the previous owner by Ducati Glasgow, I will have a butchers at the service book later and get back to you.

9. have a look at that

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  10. Thanks for the info, I think this is the problem. Bugger, pretty sure this was repaired not too long ago, need to check from previous owner.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information