1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1098R- A good investment.

Discussion in 'Ducati General Discussion' started by abmatt2002, Dec 19, 2012.

1. [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  2. Hi Matt

Ive done pretty much that, but my bike of choice was the 748R mainly because I owned a 2003 model back in 2004. I recently bought a mint low mileage example for more than I paid for a 1 year old bike back in 2004. I'm not particulary bothered about investment value however I have no doubt that the bike will appreciate in value as original clean 748 models are becoming scarce. For me I look forward to riding it in 20 years time and for people to stare and say "what kinda bike is that"

• Like Like x 2
  3. That ones classed as a sports tourer. Bit like a VFR then :wink:

4. Invest in property and spend money on a bike you will use and enjoy...the more you leave it sat in a garage the more money it will lose. Or get VR to rid your bike and try and flog it on eBay for silly money...its been on there for ages and still not sold. Buy with the heart and you have lost your investment buy with your head and you might make some gain. My thinking is that you take the bike for a test ride to get it out of your system and keep your old bike to enjoy and all the expense of the new bike send on family hols more fun

5. The R Ducatis keep their money, are rare, and have always been the 'ultimate' of their generation. A 1098R for 10k? Good luck. The market for them has been very resilient. Ducati had much racing success with them, and they remain unique for many reasons - with arguably more changes compared to the run-of-the-mill 1098S and more changes as an 'R' from the 'S' than any other generation of Ducati superbike. It's nice that the 1098R engine was never used <as is> with their titanium and magnesium components, in any other Ducati superbike. Even the final 1198SP offered less. The 1098R will forever be the ultimate trellis framed belt Ducati superbike, and I am willing to wager you will not find a good one for less than 20k in 5 years time.

If you consider the other homologation superbikes Ducati sold 'to go racing', then their values suggest a good 1098R will never fall below 10k. A good 996R or 998R is the better part of, what, 15k min in these depressed wintry times?

916SPx, 996R, 998R, 999R... the 1098R is in good company and a safe bet. With the Pani R pushing 30k, the 1098R remains great value at even 15k.

6. Sorry I disagree, and so does the current real market value. And I can see the odd 1098R being snapped up for close to £10k, all it takes is a desperate seller and a man taking a chance with £10k in a bag.

If the used bike market is anything like the used car market at the moment its not a great picture, I have a couple Audi's for sale at the moment that are usually a safe bet and should have been down the road a weeks ago but are still on my drive, as I drop the prices I then attract the chancers, difference is I am not desperate to sell.

7. Without the bike having any history, ie race winner, prototype, made is extremely limited numbers (the Britten for example) or if was owned by somebody famous, it will always loose money and therefore never be an investment. Of course it will level out, but that is likely to be around £4k in about 10 years

8. Sold my 999R for around 10k made another 5k in all the stuff I'd removed, so not too hard to believe IMO

9. I would not consider the week before the Christmas of the wettest year of austerity when hardly anything 2 or 4 wheeled is actually selling, to be an indication. The market currently has zero liquidity. However, if you look at where 1098Rs have actually traded this year, I am aware of 4 of them having traded between 13.5k and 18k.

10. Had too many 1664 and wife beaters...I want one. If only a dealer was open now.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Don't do it !
    I bought an 1198SP thinking the same thing. Woods of Abergele still have one they cannot shift. No one is investing in them as ' last of the line '
    I bought an MV Agusta 1078 RR312 thinking the same. I'll be lucky if I sold it for £8500 now ( April 2011, £12,300 ).

12. Not going to now. With child no.2 on the way the long haired General has said NO! We need a bigger car so going to look at an A6 today!:eek:

13. Well, congrats on the upcoming No 2 offspring.

A6 is a lovely motor, watch out for the LCD in the middle of the clocks going fuzzy as temperatures go sub zero. Went on mine, and heard plenty of others doing same with main stealer trying to BS their way out of replacing it.

14. I saw a Bayliss rep at a dealers a few weeks ago for under 14k considering these were 30k new quite a hit in a few years

15. Buy it. It'll go down as one of the "greats". Investment? Who knows. Who cares. It's still one of their best weapons. Buy it, ride it.

• Like Like x 1
  16. in 2009 i was considering the 1098R .. but then being 24k looked as to much height to come down from... and the XX98 series being too 916 lookalike anyway, so couldn't persuade myself..
    the the 999 grew on me and gradually the R came forward as being the model to own... at that time the prices were at around 10-13K... found myself a neat one...

will it bring me a return? after all the mods? never ever.... but there is a diffference with knowing that you just bought a bike that will loose 50% of its 30K value the next 5 years...
    for the 999, even if it looses 20% it's only 2K ... now that i can live with easily.... :)

17. +10000000!!!!

It is a very special ride!

18. Car bought. Damn it!

Do Not Sell My Personal Information