1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1098r Cam Belt - Is This Normal?

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by RickyX, May 28, 2016.

1. Thought I'd take a look at my belts today.
    Everything looks fine, nothing loose or frayed however, I noticed a groove running all the way around the outside (smooth side) of the horizontal belt. There is absolutely nothing rubbing on it, checked the clearance at the places closest to the cylinder casting and there is a good gap all the way around.

Question is - is this a normal mark on the belt (part of the manufacturing process) or is it something else?
    Vertical belt has no such marks.

Note, the drain tube near the drive pulley is just positioned there and is not interfering with the belt.

Pictures below:

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

2. The only belts I have visual access to are an earlier generation belt but the RS belt looks very similar and it looks like something is sandwiched between the outer layers. Andy

3. I think you mean the kevlar layer Andy, Ricky's on about that little groove on the non toothed side of the belt, I've not seen one like that before, it does have the appearance of something "cutting/rubbing" it, have you checked there's nothing stuck on the pulleys that could do it? are the bearings free in the pulleys?

4. Not a bloody dodgy 'exact' fit belt is it? :p

#4 Nelson, May 28, 2016
    Last edited: May 28, 2016
    • Funny Funny x 3
  5. Bearings appear fine. Nothing on the pulleys - they are smooth and unmarked.
    No evidence of rubber deposits in the cam belt area that could be an indication of something rubbing.
    Basically all clean and nothing protruding that could impinge on the outside of the belt as it goes around.
    Very strange!

6. Ah, missed the point totally. Cataract surgery gave me my distance eyesight back but for anything nearer than my outstretched arm I need a magnifying glass. Now I see it, it does seem as you suggest that there might be/have been something on the tension pulley. Andy

7. Fitted by JHP....

8. Ah, was the belt like it when it was fitted ? Andy

9. Rich man...:p

I think @nelly needs a gander at it to be sure.

10. Totally agree... @nelly can you advise please.

Belts installed at JHP using previous owner's money!

• Like Like x 1
  11. That's my point...perhaps some of them have this feature anyway and it's normal.

12. It's clearly a sub standard OEM belt, why people still use these when there are better belts available I just do not know :Angelic:

#12 Exige, May 28, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: May 30, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  13. OEM belts 'do not have a Kevlar layer or Kevlar strands for that matter' :Smuggrin:

14. :rolleyes: FFS OK that must be the synthetic aramid layer Andy was talking about

15. Looks there has been 'something' in there at some point. Have seen the odd bit of grit behind covers before, specially on the newer stuff now that they're vented etc.
    Whatever it was could have trapped for a time between the casing round the cam pulley for instance and then been dislodged?
    Either that, or is it the cam cover? Looks to be close to the joining faces? Maybe a screw could have got left out or loose?
    Not good either way. Get em swapped soon as to be on the safe side.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  16. Just looking at the picture again..... That crash bobbin isn't pushing down on the belt cover is it?

17. Nylon :)

18. I think it's highly unlikely to be a piece of "grit". That looks like it's been rubbing on some kind of fixed protrusion inside the belt housing.

I'm with @nelly , check inside your belt cover for signs of rubbing. Also take a good look at the pulley wheels.

Whatever, as Nelly says, once you know what it is, get them changed.

#18 Robarano, May 28, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 9, 2016
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  19. The groove is "inboard" of the cam belt cover face. Not in line with the joint surface.

The cover does not interfere and the bobbin is miles away - just looks close due to the camera angle.

Whatever it was - it's not there now.

Was rather hoping that you wouldn't say they need changing! Bugger.

20. Looking at the internals, there doesn't look to be much debris to speak of in there. I would have expected that with an abrasive rubbing.

Rotate the engine and carefully check the 2 roller wheel surfaces. There could be something there that is denting the belt. If it goes around enough times, it'll appear as a groove......

........I think. :Angelic:

Do Not Sell My Personal Information