1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1098 1098r - Proper Excited!!!

Discussion in '848 / 1098 / 1198' started by frazzle, Dec 2, 2016.

1. Did HMRC tried to charge you 20% VAT as bike done less then 6k km? Or did you get away with it?

2. I dropped out of a bike for sale in Denmark when I was looking for my 'R' for just this reason. :(

As it happens, I bought a bike from Jersey, which meant I had to pay VAT on it because they are outside the EU. But the deal was far better and worth doing, even with the VAT liability. :)

3. You deffo will need one. Get it from Ducati direct . Probably will take forever. Any vehicles under 10 years old needs those. And don't forget NOVA or you will get fined large amount!

4. NOVA was done by the supplying dealer which was good, no VAT to pay as it's not new and VAT would have been paid in Italy...and no duty as it's from the EU :thumbsup:, got the MOT today so one step closer to getting the forms filled in for registration... can't wait to get it done so I can actually ride it rather than look at it...... mind you it's quite nice to look at....

5. I thought VAT was payable even if the vehicle is used up to a certain mileage? I'm probably wrong so don't take my word

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. Those indicator connectors are very fiddly. I did mine on the bench as I was fitting LED ones.

7. No vat if come from EU . As long as over 6 months old and over 6k km (or thou looks like that part been changed now?)

8. When I bought mine about 14 months ago, the 6k km thing was refered to on all of the documentation I read. Good to see it's been changed, if that's the case.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Well I've got the NOVA confirmation stating nothing is to pay so fingers crossed I've got away with it.... (am assuming they waived the fact that it hasn't done 6000km)...

10. it's a lot longer than 6 months - a 2008 bike brought in to UK Oct 2015 from Denmark would still have been liable for VAT if it had been less than 6,000 kms.

11. Yeah I wimped out and got the garage to do it when they did the MOT, took them 20 mins but would have taken me hours, especially in an unlit garage

12. If you’re importing a second-hand vehicle, you won’t have to pay VAT if all the following apply:

• VAT has already been paid in any EUcountry including the UK
    • the vehicle has been in use for more than 6 months
    • the vehicle has done more that 6,000km (about 3,728 miles)

13. That was exactly the situation I found myself in, so didn't go for it in the end. It would have been a big chunk of VAT.

I believe it's in place to stop people buying vehicles cheaper abroad and storing them for 6 months. They then sell them after the 6 month period. The 6k km rule stops this, but some classic cars and bikes much older than 6 months with low mileage get caught in the net as a consequence.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information