1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1098s Wont Start. :(

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by Dee Cee, Jan 22, 2017.

1. Hi chaps,

Just wanted to post here with a little problem I have with my 1098. Just wanted a bit of info before I start pulling to bits.

Bike was running fine. Then not started for about a month. Went to start the other day and the fuel pump wouldnt prime. Doh! No error cods on dash. Fuel pump was serviced a few months ago and all was working fine. Even fitted a new pump motor/filter etc.

So checked all fuses, all seem ok.
    Checked the pump relay by battery box and noted that when I turn key, there is a click and then seconds later another click. Im assuming this is to do with the pump priming as it should do normaly. When I remove relay it shows the yellow attention light on dash. No corrosion/crap where relay fits. All squeaky clean.

When I crank bike on starter it all turns over and I can hear the relay clicking away. So Im thinking the relay is good? ( I have orded some new relays btw )

Im thinking of pulling the pump assembly from the tank and checking the wiring from the loom/connecter to check I have power at that connecter and also the wiring that runs from this connector through the pump base?

Any help/info would be great. I hate electrics.

:)

2. Relay is the cheapest and easiest one to start with. It's interchangeable with others on the bike, so you should be able to test it.

Get a multimeter on the fuel pump electrical connector under the tank to see if you have power to the pump.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  3. £1.99 part that causes grief

4. Also check the ecu is properly grounded. There's a ring crimp under the screw that fastens it to the battery box.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  5. If the relay is clicking away, that would suggest to me that you have a problem with power or connections. It should click once, then stay connected.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  6. As @Nelson says, I forgot to connect this wire once and the bike wouldn't start. I can't remember if the fuel pump primed though.

7. You'll sometimes hear the relay spazing on and off if that earth is loose.

8. Just because the relay click doesn't mean it's passing current. Check the output with a meter.

• Useful Useful x 2
  9. Yep, been probing with multimeter today. mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

Earth on ECU appears fine. All clean/tight etc. As it was before.

I think it may be a duff relay. Waiting on a couple of new ones to arrive before I pull fuel pump from tank.

When probing the electrical connecter for tank ( Loom side ) on black and red wires?? with Multimeter. I should get 12v when I turn the key on for a few seconds?

10. Yes mate,

When I power the relay with a 12v batt and croc clips I get the click. I then put multimeter on the two other pins and get no volts at all. If the relay was good, I should get 12v? Or do I have to test for resistance?

BTW, thanks for the tips from all so far. Very helpful. :blush:

#10 Dee Cee, Jan 22, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2017
  11. The relay is an electrical switch, when powered it switches on allowing power to pass through the other two connections these connections need a separate power source .So when powered you need to see if you have continuation through the other connection.
    Testing as you have will not give 12v at the terminals unless you power one side and check to see if you have power at the other.
    Hope that makes sense.
    Steve

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Just to humbly add to Steve's explanation, a relay is electromechanical and is essentially a miniature solenoid. The click you hear when power goes to the relay is the solenoid moving and making the connection, so no power equals no connection and iffy power equals an iffy connection, as does corrosion inside the relay.

13. Yes mate. cheers.

14. I think it would have to be almost dead to not even prime the fuel pump Ricky. I could understand it if it wasn't cranking.

15. So have finally got around to testing the relays that I have. All the ones I have are within spec. Resistance is good and all pass 12v when energised. Even chucked in two new ones in both slots ( I know one is pump and one fans? ) to be double sure. Still nothing.

FFS!

So its got to be fuel pump/wiring next?

16. You said when you turn the engine over, the relay clicks away. It should click once when the ignition is switched on and then stay connected.

If it is still 'clicking away', then that suggests to me that you still have a problem related to the relay and/or the power to it.

17. So, key goes on. Click from area where relays are. Then a second or so later, click again. Would this be fuel pump relay and then fan relays both clicking on? I have to do some more fettling with one of em removed. Try to figure out if Im getting two clicks from one relay or one click from both. IYSWIM. LoL.

When the bike cranks, no clicking until you open the throttle, then its start clicking away. Could it be dodgy loom? ECU is New. ( It has run since fitting this. )

18. I am having similar prob , has been suggested leaving the ign key in can cause a prob, don't know if yoy do that , I do so am going to take it out when I get home

19. Where's @Derek when you need him??

Do Not Sell My Personal Information